Art Loeb recommendations.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Siegel
(PaulSiegel)

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Art Loeb recommendations. on 08/26/2010 11:58:53 MDT Print View

I'm planning on taking a 4 day/3 night ramble on the Art Loeb in Late September. Starting at the boy scout camp and heading to the davidson river campground.

Any Idea about average temperatures then? I'm hoping for 60's during the day and probably 40's at night, but on the ground experience would be great. I tend to overpack clothing wise and would like to hear what people would bring.

Water sources? I'm pretty sure I can find water heading towards shining rock gap, read good info about water sources there. But heading over black balsom bald and down towards deep gap, I'm not too sure about water. After Deep Gap, I'm pretty familiar with the water sources.

Any tips, tricks, recommendations would be great!

Brian Hall
(brian2o0o) - F
art loeb weather on 08/29/2010 08:49:17 MDT Print View

I would say your guess about the temps are probably pretty close. I've been up there in October and the temps were starting to dip down in the 30's at night. So my guess for late September would be mid 40's at night. Probably upper 60's during the day. As far as water, there isn't too much on the boy scout end of the trail. There are a couple small springs around shining rock gap, one right on the trail on the boy scout side of shining rock, and the other where the big east fork trail comes up on the left just before shining rock gap. Don't remember any water sources around black balsam, unless u take side trails 1+ miles over to the yellowstone prong or flat laurel creek.

James Leo
(Santino12) - F
Art Loeb on 02/23/2011 19:44:10 MST Print View

Paul - How was your trip? I'm planning a similar trip next week and would value your insight.

Thank you.

James

Paul Siegel
(PaulSiegel)

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Ahh, yeah.. on 02/23/2011 20:19:51 MST Print View

Sadly, I got rained out. I was up in Brevard a couple of days before and all sorts of things went wrong coming up to the trip, primary being a major system rolling through, dumped about 3" in 24 hrs. Enjoy your trip!

Paul