"Free-standing Scarp2 ???"
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
"Free-standing Scarp2 ???" on 08/23/2010 11:05:59 MDT Print View

I just set up my Scarp 2 for the first time with the optional crossing poles, and noticed that if you don't stake the tent they would pretty much be "free-floating" on each of the four corners, hardly making it reasonably "free-standing" ... have other people noticed that? Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!
Sven

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Free-standing Scarp2 on 08/23/2010 17:17:05 MDT Print View

Sven
You are correct. Those poles are floating in the air not connected to the corners directly.
The idea of freeestanding is to be able to set the shelter up and move it about but you still need to peg it down.
That gives you a bit of latitude on where to insert the stakes and or use ballast or guylines to keep it on the ground.
(A common mistake that people make setting up tents (and tarps...) is to get the angle of the tie-out pegs wrong. This is not so important with freestanding shelters.)
See :http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ditch_your_stakes.htm
A mate has just used my Moment with the somewhat similar freestanding option, he did that because he was camping on rocks on an island on Lake Huron. To keep the tent in place he piled rocks on top of the end guylines.
Do keep in mind that a lot of "freestanding" tents need more than 6 pegs to keep the fly taut, if you really want to you do not need any stakes with the Scarp, just weight inside and no gale force wind to turn it into a kite.
BTW, Henry has been granted a patent on that cross pole with embedded support for the freestanding pole and inverted V corners.
Franco

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Scarp 2 on 08/23/2010 18:31:55 MDT Print View

Thanks!!
Sven