Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trinity Alps Wilderness

Display Avatars Sort By:
Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Trinity Alps Wilderness on 08/23/2010 10:54:06 MDT Print View

Will be doing a first trip there.

1) No bear canisters required, but lots of bear scat. What would you bring? I'm thinking just my Ursack.

2) What's the fastest way into the *high* country? After some perusing, I'm looking at Canyon Creek Trailhead/Ripstein Camp, hiking due north from there. (This is Trek #2 in Backpacker Mag's Trekking California book.)

- Elizabeth

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Trinity Alps Wilderness on 08/23/2010 15:03:29 MDT Print View

As long as you are camping below tree-line, an Ursack should be fine. Can't remember the quickest way in...it's been over 30 years since my last visit :(

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Trinity Alps Wilderness" on 08/23/2010 16:38:31 MDT Print View

I did a trip in the Trinities last weekend.

We went in at the Swift Creek trail head, past Granite Lake over Seven Up Pass to Louella Lake on day 1. Day 2 was a day hike to Diamond Lake and a scramble to the top of Siligo Peak, then load up and hike to the top of Black basin. Day 3 was down Bear Basin back to the car.

We saw a few people walking around here and there, but had all the lakes we visited and all the campsites to ourselves.

Great trails with terrific views, I highly recommend the Trinities.

Last fall we did the hike you mentioned in your post. Car camping at Ripstein, then heading out past Canyon Lakes to "L" Lake. Great hike for a weekend, although I've read that it can be crowded during the high season.

From what I've seen, you can't go wrong in the Trinity Alps. I hope to make a trip there an annual event.

Oh yeah.......we just hung our food in trees in stuff sacks. The stuff above treeline is too steep to camp, you'll have at least a few trees around wherever you end up sleeping.

Edited by davidlutz on 08/23/2010 16:40:02 MDT.

Jim Carr
(jcarr) - F

Locale: Humboldt County
Trinity Alps on 08/26/2010 21:17:25 MDT Print View

Caribou Lake basin
Caribou Lake