Silnylon tube tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Silnylon tube tent on 08/22/2010 10:00:36 MDT Print View

When I was in boy scouts backpacking every other weekend we all used the 12 foot long orange plastic tube tents.
Because of lite weight and and ease of set up. It only took a length of cord and clothes pins to seal of ends if needed and 4 rocks at each end of the tent to stake it out.

It was a great shelter because you could seal the bottom and leave vents air vents at the top to let air out to reduce condensation.

If it was torn up after the trip just buy another one for $5.00 for the next trip.
I the only thing I did not like about the tent was the color of blaze orange and the short length of 12 foot.

I have been thinking about a silnylon tent
Has any one ever made a silnylon tube tent out of 1.9 silnylon from OWF ? Or 1.3 from other suppliers.

Have any of you made silnylon Tube tent?
How much fabric did it take to make?

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Re: Silnylon tube tent on 08/22/2010 10:56:58 MDT Print View

you mean like one of these (link)?

Why not just make it out of a square tarp, but don't sew it together into a tube, just use one side as the bottom? These have the disadvantage that if rain gets in one of the ends, it's not getting out. But if you did it as a square tarp, then you'd have the option of a more appropriate pitch for the weather. By placing mid-length tie-outs on top, you'd have pitching options to do a tube tent with doors, or you could use as a flat tarp with an off-center peak.