Trip pix: PCT south from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows
Display Avatars Sort By:
Vineet Buch
(VineetBuch) - F
Trip pix: PCT south from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows on 07/27/2006 00:34:47 MDT Print View

Just finished (July 22-25) a 3-day+2-hour fast and light PCT backpack from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows. 71 mi, 13,600' of climbing (and 14,700' of descent!). Trip pix are at http://vineetbuch.slide.com/p/0/PCT+from+Sonora+Pass+to+Tuolumne+Meadows

Mouse-over for captions.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Sonora Pass to Tuolumne on 07/27/2006 08:50:49 MDT Print View

Thank you for sharing your photos. I plan on doing the same trip over the Labor Day weekend. What do you think the snow conditions will be like? Did you use crampons or an ice ax for your trip? Was the trail in good shape and easy to follow?

Bernard Shaw
(be_here_now@earthlink.net) - F

Locale: Upstate New York
please share about the snow!!!! on 07/28/2006 20:53:54 MDT Print View

Yes, help with the snow condtions, especially Glen, Pinchot, Mather, Muir Passes.

thanks,
Evan

i am hiking from Onion Vallley to Piute Pass Bishop August 4th!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: please share about the snow!!!! on 07/29/2006 06:32:16 MDT Print View

All of those passes do not lie between Sonora and Yosemite. I was up near SEKI two weeks ago and their still is a lot of snow up there. Can't comment on all of those passes though Bernard.

Vineet Buch
(VineetBuch) - F
Re: Sonora Pass to Tuolumne on 08/08/2006 20:00:41 MDT Print View

There was snow for the first 6 miles south of Sonora Pass on 7/22, but I was able to negotiate it wearing trail runners, and without crampons, ice-axe or poles. By Labor Day the snow should be long gone.