Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Energy Gel Recipe
Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Burns
(Ledcactus@yahoo.com) - F

Locale: Cascades / Olympics (WET)
Energy Gel Recipe on 07/26/2006 22:20:24 MDT Print View

I am looking for an energy gel recipe. Please post your exact measurements and ingredients.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
GOO! on 07/30/2006 22:52:23 MDT Print View

HOMEMADE GOO

I've been using a form of homemade sports gel, and it's been really successful - and I have a circle of friends that are way into it!

I read the ingredient of a few popular gel products, and I thought - geesh, this stuff is simple!

Here's my recipe:
=============

1. Brown Rice Syrup (easily available at health food stores) --- [carbs]

2. Protein Powder (vanilla seems to work best) --- [protein]

3. Cashew Butter --- [fat]

4. Electro-MIX by Emergen-C --- [electrolytes]

==
==

I make this stuff in bulk, and I never measure anything, so bear with me.

a) Start with a blender, a full blender load will be our volume.

b) The brown rice syrup will be too thick to mix in a blender. Warm the stuff up for about 15 minutes by putting the jars into tub of hot water. Avoid a microwave, which will work fine, but may create "bad vibes." The syrup needs to be thin enough so you don't burn out the blender's motor.

c) Pour a bunch of syrup into the blender, have some hot water ready for adding to the syrup, a little is all thats needed to thin it out.

d) Add a heaping spoonful of cashew butter.

e) Add a few scoops of protein powder.

f) Add a few packets of Electro-MIX.

g) Taste it, if there is too much protein powder, it'll taste chalky - just add some more syrup.

That's it!

I store it in old Gatorade bottles in the fridge.

I use a funnel and fill up the gel flasks. I found 'em at a local sports store - but they are easy to get on the web:
http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=hammer-gel-flask

I use this GOO while backcountry skiing, this is where it's really successful for me. I get a good boost on those long uphill skin tracks!

enjoy,
M!