Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Convertible footbox for quilt

Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Convertible footbox for quilt on 07/26/2006 19:26:43 MDT Print View

I'm almost done with my down quilt, and the project is coming much better than expected. JacksRBetter and some others seem to prefer Omni-tape instead of zippers for the convertible footbox - why is that?

Ben

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
footbox on 07/30/2006 18:01:51 MDT Print View

Omni tape will not tear or place excess wear on hammock bottoms like a zipper on a bag left open as a quilt...it is as light or lighter than most ykk zippers...does not risk mechanical failure...does not load up with lint or thread like regular velcro...is not excessively scratchy like regular velcro...

Pan

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: footbox on 07/30/2006 21:07:46 MDT Print View

The only problem with Omnitape is that it's release strength is lower than that of regular Velcro. You can improve its performance by leaving an inch of tape loose - instead of stitching the whole length down. Two good places to do this are at the leg end of the tape (the 'top')and at the foot where it takes a 90 degree turn. The loose tape resists separating better than firmly stitched tape.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: footbox on 07/30/2006 23:00:24 MDT Print View

Thanks for the tip, Vick. I was thinking of adding a snap to keep the Omnitape on my No Sniveller from separating. Your idea is much better.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Re: Re: Re: footbox on 07/31/2006 13:29:29 MDT Print View

A snap will work, too. However, it will make a lump that you may get tired of rolling over. At least, that's my experience. A button is another choice.

I have used Omnitape a good bit since Pan turned me on to it. It's not perfect, but has all the advantages he mentions.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Re: Re: Re: footbox on 07/31/2006 14:44:41 MDT Print View

Vick, your solution seems pretty slick. Unfortunately, I just went ahead and sewed the Omnitape on solidly before I got any response to my original post. What can I say - itchy trigger finger. I'm really happy with how the quilt is turning out.

Ben

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: footbox on 07/31/2006 19:27:15 MDT Print View

Dog, you fast. Congrats on finishing the project. Fun, huh?
If the omnitape starts separating on you and you can't live with it, you can do the old double velcro trick: a flap of velcro that mates to a patch of velcro to seal the end of the tape to keep it from releasing easily. Buttons are also simple and reliable, and stronger than snaps.

Edited by vickrhines on 07/31/2006 19:27:45 MDT.