Forum Index » Chaff » Man Wants to do RTW Trip with NO Baggage

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Man Wants to do RTW Trip with NO Baggage on 08/20/2010 18:21:59 MDT Print View

This guy wants to do a 6-week RTW trip with no luggage -- not even a small pack -- but carrying only stuff in his pockets.

Coming to think of it, so long as he sticks to hot/temperate regions where he won't need extra layer of clothes -- it's actually quite doable -- and methinks a lot easier than hiking out in the wilds for 6 weeks.

For ye travelers -- have you done anything like this -- or close to this?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Man Wants to do RTW Trip with NO Baggage on 08/20/2010 19:08:51 MDT Print View

It would be fascinating to see how he gets a laptop computer into the cargo pockets on some pants. He is sponsored, so he is doing it for the money.

--B.G.--

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Man Wants to do RTW Trip with NO Baggage on 08/20/2010 19:20:11 MDT Print View

There is already a guy that has been doing this for quite some time. Can't recall, but he is an older chap, I think he's Swedish, and he has a website. The guy startded traveling with real minimal gearl, at first I think with a fishing vest or something similar and now with just stuff in his pockets. Wish I had bookmarked the website, because it had some interesting

Found the website!
http://sites.google.com/site/travelulcomp/

It's extremely hard to navigate around the website but it's fun reading.

Edited by dag4643 on 08/20/2010 19:28:27 MDT.

Andrew Lush
(lushy) - MLife

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs
Re: Man Wants to do RTW Trip with NO Baggage on 08/20/2010 19:22:17 MDT Print View

I can't see the point of this to be honest.

Seems to me it would be a lot easier to have one small carry-on pack than having all his stuff crammed in all his pockets. Sure would be a lot more more comfy.

And as Bob says, he's being sponsored by a clothing manufacturer (a maker of a travel vest with lots of pockets) so that negates the independence of the whole exercise to begin with.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Man Wants to do RTW Trip with NO Baggage on 08/21/2010 09:16:12 MDT Print View

Daniel - thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Andrew - I'm with you. Each to his or her own, but for me, a small 'bookbag' holds everything I need for traveling 'indefinitely' -- and it's barely half full.

To me, the absence of a couple layers of clothing will seriously limit the places where I can go on a RTW trip. OTOH, as stated above, this guy is being paid for his "concept" trip -- so hey, why not? :)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Man Wants to do RTW Trip with NO Baggage on 08/21/2010 15:48:12 MDT Print View

The point is to get some publicity and a sponsored world trip...
Can't see many people getting all excited over "World Trip With Small Bag".
Franco

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
Look Ma, No Bag! on 08/21/2010 16:09:15 MDT Print View

Fun idea.

Thank you for the link, Ben.

In a dark way, I look forward to him toasting his first night abroad with a glass of wine, and spilling it all over his pants. Cheers!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
RTW Trip with NO Baggage on 08/21/2010 16:29:40 MDT Print View

Hehehe-- most folk just want a DATE with no baggage ;)

Gimme a small pack with a couple water bottle pockets. Other than basic clothing like shirt, pants, shoes, wind shirt and a hat, all I would need would be minimal toiletries, a really Spartan change of clothing: spare briefs, socks, running shorts and tee shirt, mostly to wear while cleaning the other stuff. I would have plenty of room left for a book, notebook, cell phone and camera. Most of the clothing would be to avoid buying new stuff all the time, which could be done, but would be wasteful of time and resources. Something like a Patagonia Travel Pack or an REI Flash 30 would be more than enough.

We traveled in Europe for three weeks in the dead of winter with simple convertible carry-on/backpacks and that was in 1986. With modern synthetics and personal electronics, I could go indefinitely with less weight and space. It is a lot easier to travel light in cities-- no food prep, sleeping gear or shelter. We went by train and a one-bag system is so simple and easy. Seeing someone in the airport with a mass of big suitcases is just like seeing someone on the trail with a monster pack.

Jacob Smith
(Wrongturn) - MLife

Locale: The Soda
Travel light on 08/22/2010 18:33:53 MDT Print View

Went to England with only a single backpack for a month during the summer. Had zip off pants, a wicking polo shirt, and a rain jacket on when I got on the plane along with a hat and a pair of dockers. Pockets had passport wallet, flash light, Ipod Touch, and a fisher space pen. Backpack had extra shirt, Macbook Pro, charger, guide book, and a change of underwear. Bought a pair of cheap flip flops while I was there, and threw them away before I got on the plane to come home. Best trip of my life.