Forum Index » Chaff » Honey from stone

Display Avatars Sort By:
Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Honey from stone on 08/18/2010 07:26:30 MDT Print View

Just ran into this passage from Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, which pretty much sums up why I like to walk:

More things are learnt in the woods than from books; trees and rocks will teach you things not to be heard elsewhere. You will see for yourself that honey may be gathered from stones and oil from the hardest rock. . . .

Stargazer

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Honey from stone on 08/19/2010 06:43:04 MDT Print View

The passage also evokes the last verse of Psalm 81:

But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.

(Note: I'm not particularly religious in the traditional "go-to-meetin'-on Sunday" sense, but I did teach the "Bible as Literature" course a couple of times when I was in Grad school.)

Stargazer

P. S. So . . . Does anybody else have any favorite quotations, say from Thoreau or Muir, etc., that captures the hiking/ walking BPing experience for them?

Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes) - M

Locale: Midwest
quotes I like on 08/19/2010 07:25:59 MDT Print View

I like these:

"I am a wanderer and a mountain climber. I do not love the plains, and it seems I cannot sit still for long." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (19th-century German philosopher and classical philologist), "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"

"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each." - Henry David Thoreau, "Journal"

"Do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast... a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for awhile and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: You will outlive the bastards." - Edward Abbey, "Desert Solitaire"