Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Uses for silk
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Fry
(DavidFry) - MLife
Uses for silk on 07/25/2006 17:48:02 MDT Print View

There has been some discussion on this form about silk used in ultralight gear like hammock casing for down baffles in a down air mat and quilts. With silk as light as .57 oz (or some thing like that) I can see why it would appeal to the ultralight hikers. What are some other things that silk might be used for? How does it perform as clothing? Would it make a good base layer and how would it compare to more popular base layer fabrics? What are some of its advantages and limitations?

Linsey Budden
(lollygag)

Locale: pugetropolis
silk as base layer on 07/26/2006 01:45:03 MDT Print View

Silk is a comfortable base layer for me although I've yet to try it on extended trips. It packs small and dosen't every layer counts as a layer? I have tanks and long sleeve crews. It is cheaper to buy at or just after Christmastime. Perspiration is devistating for silk and it should be washed/rinsed daily to maximize its life. It is sheer, but as a girl, that appeals to me.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: silk as base layer on 07/26/2006 11:39:15 MDT Print View

I sleep every night in an REI silk long sleeve crew and bottom. I love it, but have never used it on an outing. There is a lot of discussion about wool and synthetics as a base layer, but nothing in depth I've seen about silk. Silk seems to have the same anti-stink qualities as my wool base layers. I would guess that it dries faster than wool. My large silk long sleeve crew weighs 4.1 oz, so it is certainly lighter than wool and probably Capilene. I don't have any Capilene to compare it with. It is something I will have to experiment with.

Edited by ericnoble on 07/26/2006 11:41:07 MDT.

Paul Kaercher
(paulkaercher) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Re: Uses for silk on 07/27/2006 14:52:33 MDT Print View

1- I use silk gauze as a bug net for my hammock.
2- I have made shoulder straps for my pack frame out of 8mm silk and closed cell foam. Very light, comfortable, and strong.