Tarptent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Locale: Colorado
Tarptent on 08/17/2010 09:19:04 MDT Print View

So just in the month of August, 7 different people have put Tarptent's up for sale. What's going on?

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
my thoughts on 08/17/2010 09:22:24 MDT Print View

I wouldn't be surprised if it was nothing more than a lot of people have Tarptents and a lot of people sell off gear towards the end of the season...

Edited by areichow on 08/17/2010 09:22:56 MDT.

Larry Bryan
(mipacker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Backpacking season on 08/17/2010 09:29:58 MDT Print View

There is no end to the Backpacking season, you just keep going.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Tarptent on 08/17/2010 10:39:00 MDT Print View

Rich,

We get it, you don't like Tarptent. There are however many people who do and they are very popular shelters in the UL community. I imagine that you see so many of them on the market because there are many more tarptents in use than most other UL shelters. If you are not interested in buying one, than I recommend that you do not waste your time reading posts in the gear swap forum that protean to them.

Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: my thoughts on 08/17/2010 10:39:12 MDT Print View

End of season is not a legitimate reason.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: Re: my thoughts on 08/17/2010 10:43:26 MDT Print View

end of season not a reason?

of course it is for tarptent. lots of people go to a 4 season set up in winter that will keep out snow better and maybe even freestanding.

the only reason im replying to this thread is because i am bored and dont really understand what you are trying to say?

WHy are there so many hondas for sale? must be a crappy car, either that or its the most sold car, hence the most relsold car. cmon.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Tarptent on 08/17/2010 10:51:03 MDT Print View

Anybody interested in a Passat? ;-)

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
7 tarptents??!!? gaaaah on 08/17/2010 10:52:00 MDT Print View

Your well thought out "people are ruining backpacking" thread must have inspired everyone to drop the "junk" sil shelters for "bomber" tents.
Or maybe your very positive (&, I am sure, much appreciated) "your tent hasn't sold b/c its junk" post persuaded everyone they need to try to dump their tarptents before the general population realizes they are no good (after which they will, of course, be unsellable).

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Tarptent on 08/17/2010 10:53:43 MDT Print View

Chaff; and chaff.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Tarptent on 08/17/2010 11:17:08 MDT Print View

As this was not an actual posting for a piece of gear for sale I've moved the thread elsewhere in the forums.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
"Tarptent" on 08/17/2010 11:17:15 MDT Print View

Maybe people are selling their old Tarptents to buy new ones. Henry has release several new products recently and made changes to a few, like the Rainbow.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Tarptent on 08/17/2010 11:35:36 MDT Print View

I just bought one, so there goes the trend ...

Trevor Wilson
(trevor83) - MLife

Locale: Swiss Alps / Southern Appalachians
Re: Tarptent on 08/17/2010 11:53:50 MDT Print View

I was one of those that sold one...to buy another model as my future needs have changed a bit. I have really enjoyed my tarptent products. I don't understand why the OP is intent on bashing the company and their products just because it doesn't suit his personal needs and hiking style.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Tarptent on 08/17/2010 18:26:55 MDT Print View

Are you serious, dude? 2 threads about the same thing?

CAUSE THEY WANT TO SELL THEM!

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Tarptent on 08/17/2010 20:19:06 MDT Print View

Ugh, chaff indeed.

I hadn't noticed this guy was a troll with an agenda- my apologies for feeding the trolls. :P

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Tarptent on 08/17/2010 20:28:28 MDT Print View

Some thoughts...

1. Tarp tents are not a "do it all" option -- and to their credit, tarp tent makers have never marketed them as such.

2. Tarptents are an excellent shelter choice for certain climes and locations (esp. 3-season use at places with low to moderate humidity).

3. I believe many of the sales are just tarp tent owners wanting to trade for other tarp tents (e.g. swapping a Contrail for a Moment) -- or to even simpler shelters such as bivy and tarp.

4. Certain owners sell, of course, because their tarp tents are just all wrong for them -- either because of the climate/location or because of their own style/preferences. No one type of gear fits 'everyone and everything'.

5. Too often, enthusiastic tarp tent owners recommend their tarp tents to newbies or the more traditional hikers looking to shed weight -- touting the tarp tents' feather weight -- but then being completely silent about potential issues -- such as condensation build up (which can affect double wall tents too although the latter provide a more effective barrier). To me, this is a real disservice -- and likely explains some of the resales. There is no perfect gear -- and posting both pros and cons can help potential buyers make more informed decisions.

As posted in the past, the trick is to match the proper gear with the task at hand -- and also match the proper vendors / gear makers with one's planned gear purchases.

Edited by ben2world on 08/17/2010 20:35:51 MDT.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Tarptent on 08/18/2010 11:15:05 MDT Print View

So just in the month of August, 7 different people have put Tarptent's up for sale. What's going on?

Well, maybe Sam is correct that this is a troll ... but I'll bite anyway.

Let me generalize the question as "Why are there so many _______ for sale on these forums?"

I'd of thought it would be obvious ... these forums are populated with a LOT of gearheads looking for the mythical perfect piece of gear for every purpose. We tend to buy and buy and buy ... and frequently sell too.

(written by someone who does not have a gear closet because the closet hasn't been built that'll hold all my gear)

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Gearheads on 08/18/2010 11:29:20 MDT Print View

>I'd of thought it would be obvious ... these forums are populated with a LOT of gearheads looking for the mythical perfect piece of gear for every purpose. We tend to buy and buy and buy ... and frequently sell too.

You got it, mate -- 40,000 gearheads, and they love to buy and sell. For example, I currently own five Tarptents, much to the chagrin of my wife. I really ought to sell the Squall 2, and get a Scarp, not because I don't love the Squall but because my wife has given up the hobby and I don't need it anymore. But I won't sell it, probably, JIC.

JIC. That's just the way gearheads think. JIC.

Stargazer

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Tarptent on 08/18/2010 11:33:37 MDT Print View

There IS a certain pragmatic logic to it, though.

One is that since most of the ultralight gear that interests us isn't available in retail shops. So how do you go and try out a Hexamid without buying one? The same is true for TarpTent tents -- they have a great reputation, but the line is pretty varied, and it can be pretty tough to decide which one is going to be ideal for you without trying one out... so you make an educated guess, and try it out.

If it doesn't work out to be quite what you wanted, you can sit on it or sell it. If you sell it, you can get most of your money back and use it for something else. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I imagine that Henry's selling quite a few of his tents, since they have a good reputation and he puts a lot of effort into making sure that they live up to it.

While not the lightest, Henry's tents are among the most reasonably priced, so it's quite logical that they'd be popular in the first place, which means that they'll be popular second hand, also simply by extension of logic.