tieing 2 poles together
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Ettestad
(ettestad) - M
tieing 2 poles together on 08/16/2010 14:59:51 MDT Print View

Instead of carrying a pole jack for a pyramid tarp I was going to us my 2 trekking poles. Was wondering what others have found to be the best, lightest and most secure way of tieing 2 trekking poles together for this purpose.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: tieing 2 poles together on 08/16/2010 15:17:23 MDT Print View

Attaching straps together and then 3 strips of velcro wrapped around top middle and bottom of over lap. Works great.

Vadim B
(Vadim) - F
Re: tieing 2 poles together on 08/16/2010 21:34:43 MDT Print View

delete

Edited by Vadim on 08/19/2010 00:15:16 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
tieing 2 poles together on 08/16/2010 21:53:18 MDT Print View

This is the way I do it, the same as James if I understand that correctly.
Pole connection
(wrap them up after this...)
Franco

Joseph Reeves
(Umnak)

Locale: Southeast Alaska
Re: tieing 2 poles together on 08/17/2010 00:21:29 MDT Print View

I've slipped the straps together like those shown above and then use two thin strips of hook and loop material to keep them taught.

Picture below -- No, not the picture of my wife pulling her pants on, the straps, look at the straps!

Inside the Pyramid

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
special link pieces on 08/18/2010 12:34:06 MDT Print View

You can get special link sections that twist-lock into the two ends of telescopic poles. Quite a neat idea, I thought. Available for handle or tip ends.

[before you all point it out, yes, the logo does look familiar, and, as I understand, is agreed by all parties...]

Edited by captain_paranoia on 08/18/2010 12:36:51 MDT.

paul buzzard
(troop208) - F
wrapping poles on 08/19/2010 09:10:53 MDT Print View

We found that velcro works, but is finicky, and not real strong, depending maybe on what kind/type is used, possibly also where it is put together at. We changed to strips of old rubber bike tire inner tubes, very stretchy, overlap the wrap, man was that an improvement, strength wise. Pieces were like 1" wide by about 12" long.

Paul Ettestad
(ettestad) - M
Re: wrapping poles on 08/19/2010 15:18:45 MDT Print View

Interesting. Thanks for all the advice. With the old rubber bike inner tubes, are you just tying the two ends together with an overhand knot after wrapping around the poles several times?

J Her
(sailfast3r) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Lashing on 08/23/2010 18:09:28 MDT Print View

About 4 ft of line (maybe your extra guyout lines) and lash them together. Just like in Boy Scouts.

Lashing
http://www.oktroop17.org/knots/Shear_Lashing.html

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: special link pieces on 08/24/2010 08:03:30 MDT Print View

I've ordered a replacement lower section for my Black Diamond Trail Back poles to use as a link section for connecting the two poles together. The section has a tip already mounted on it which I've been unable to remove despite considerable brute force. If I can't remove it, I'll just hacksaw it off.

paul buzzard
(troop208) - F
inner tube wraps on 08/24/2010 08:45:21 MDT Print View

Paul,

The semi magic of the inner tube wraps is no tieing. They stick to themselves. Begin by holding the end to the object, stretch tightly, use 1/2 width overlap until near the end, then with other end, just tuck it into the wrap under tension, no need to tie off, holds great. Hard to describe, but it works, try it. Trick is jamming end in under tension spot. I will post a picture if I can figure out how. 18" long 1" wide strips were used in the picture. Rock solid.

wraps

Erick Panger
(eggs) - MLife

Locale: Mid Life
I have BD Flip locks on 08/24/2010 17:16:34 MDT Print View

Over the years when I've broke them I've ordered replacement sections from BD. The old sections make great connectors

The short piece I use to join

The Lower sections pulled out

one long pole with handles at each end

I don't hike with poles often any more so I don't do this as often any more with my Shanglri-la 3

Brian Camprini
(bcamprini) - MLife

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Re: tieing 2 poles together on 08/24/2010 17:29:05 MDT Print View

I don't believe Black Diamond sells these anymore, but they'd be a pretty easy make your own project.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/pole-link-converter