Adding Charcoal to Water?
Display Avatars Sort By:
(Trooper) - F
Adding Charcoal to Water? on 08/15/2010 17:49:31 MDT Print View

So I'm looking at the Platypus Cleanstream comparable Sawyer gravity filters. Reading the reviews of both brands, it seems the biggest frustration is that neither filter incorporates charcoal.

If you are filtering dirty water in the first place, could one make the water even dirtier with charcoal prior to filtering? I realize you won't always have it available, but if you did, would this do anything to improve the taste? It is all getting filtered in the end right?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Adding Charcoal to Water? on 08/16/2010 10:15:26 MDT Print View

Adding charcoal particulates to your water can clog up your filter. A better way is to pass the water through a carbon or charcoal core. Some options that you might "shoe horn" into your water treatment system:

1. Splice in a Katadyn carbon cartridge.

2. Splice in a Aquamira Frontier Pro filter. Maybe treat your water with chemicals or with the Steripen UV first, then use the FP as a gravity fed filter to clarify water and improve taste. The FP can also be used as an inline filter or placed at the end, using its removable bite valve.

3. Incorporate this to your water bottle.

4. Use a Seychelle filter instead. Can be used as either gravity fed or inline.

Edited by ben2world on 08/16/2010 10:16:40 MDT.

John Penca
(johntp) - F
Carbon removal of Chemicals on 08/17/2010 21:04:46 MDT Print View

Carbon filtration removes chlorine. If you use chemicals and then carbon filtration, the chlorine is removed. Maybe I missed something here.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Carbon removal of Chemicals on 08/17/2010 22:21:40 MDT Print View

I have some carbon from a Katadyn so I was thinking about making a carbon filter out of a 35mm film canister. I have been using a sawyer filter so this would help with taste.

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
OP confused? on 08/19/2010 11:13:24 MDT Print View

I think the OP is thinking of charcoal as in BBQ charcoal or wood ash. The charcoal used in water filtration is little hard carbon rocks that don't disolve in water. The same as in aquarium filters and Britta filters. In fact I have used aquarium carbon inline with a filter.

It neutralizes chlorine and, I may be wrong, pulls some metals out of water.

You want to pass your water through the carbon as the final stage of filtration, not the beginning. The carbon is a filter stage, not an additive. You don't put the carbon in your water, you will pass your water through it.

Edited by magillagorilla on 08/19/2010 11:19:23 MDT.