Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Guidance Requested: Summer Tarps in the Upper Midwest

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Teckam
(jasont) - F

Locale: Upper Midwest
Guidance Requested: Summer Tarps in the Upper Midwest on 08/14/2010 11:01:50 MDT Print View

Hello everyone,

First off I have to thank all of you who have asked and answered the many "newbie" questions. You've helped me on my journey to getting my gear much lighter.

My question is, what are the recommendations for tarp tenting in the upper midwest in summer? My concern is bugs and hot nights. Clearly, on some nights, sleeping in the summer bag would still be pretty darn hot, as would be using a bivey.

I have a Kelty tarp that I would like to experiment with but am uncertain as to what to do for bug protection. I've considered getting one of those pyramid shaped nets that I could hang from a line under the tarp, but I figure there are probably better options out there.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Re: Guidance Requested: Summer Tarps in the Upper Midwest on 08/14/2010 11:04:57 MDT Print View

yep, just grab one of those bug net with bathtub floor combos and you'll be all set. many places, even REI and amazon, carry them - some for pretty cheap.

or sleep without one and be a pound or two lighter in the morning :)