Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Whitney to Kearsarge in a day

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Cygan
(jeffcygan) - F
Whitney to Kearsarge in a day on 08/13/2010 21:20:23 MDT Print View

I'd like to run/hike from Whitney Portal/Peak to Kearsarge Pass/Onion Valley in under 24 hours. Does this sound like fun to you? It's about 50 miles, 25K in total up/down, all over 8K elev., most over 11K elev. There's a full moon on Aug 25, might be a good time. Other cool option would be North Lk/ South Lk loop, 54 mi.
Jeff "Cacade"

Jeff C.
(CascadeJeff) - F

Locale: S.Cal/High Sierra
Whitney to Kearsarge in a day on 08/29/2010 12:45:22 MDT Print View

Well the full moon has come and gone, but the Sierras are still there and so is my desire to run on the JMT. I'd be open to other suggestions if anyone has an interest. The North Lk-South Lk loop sounds interesting. Any thoughts?
Jeff

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Whitney to Kearsarge in a day on 08/29/2010 16:32:03 MDT Print View

I'm up for this sort of trip but I'm currently building back up after an injury; I probably need another 2 months for that mileage...likely too late to beat Sierra snow.

Where do you live?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Whitney to Kearsarge in a day on 08/29/2010 17:10:30 MDT Print View

This run/hike is on my list although it will have to wait till next season since I'm pretty busy with other projects.
I was thinking Onion Valley (Kearsarge) to Whitney, but either wat works fine.

Red's Meadow to Tuolumne
This is another nice one and a bit shorter just to see if you're up to the longer trip you mentioned.
30-34 miles depending on route.
Absolutely beautiful country.
If you finish at Tuolumne before 6pm there is a really nice bus ride back to Mammoth for only about $10 (but check the schedule, bus stops after Labor Day I think).
If you get to Tuolumne before 5pm, the Grill has tasty burgers, fries, and beer.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Whitney to Kearsarge in a day on 08/29/2010 18:39:07 MDT Print View

A while back I did Onion Valley to Whitney Portal in about 36 hours; that was hiking it with a 20 lb. pack, stopping to eat lunch, taking pictures, etc. I spent the night on the north slope of Forester.
I've always wanted to go back to run this stretch in a day, definitely doable with a little more training and less load. At the moment I'm only good for ~50K.

One shorter run I've thought about doing soon was Onion Valley to Road's End. How to shuttle is an issue with this one though...

Edited by xnomanx on 08/29/2010 18:40:19 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Onion Valley to Road's End in a day on 08/29/2010 19:24:23 MDT Print View

Onion Valley to Road's End is simple, by comparison.

The last time that I did this, we had a good organization. First, three strong hikers drove to Road's End and left their car there. They hiked up and over to Onion Valley on Day 1. I was part of a team of four, and we drove to Onion Valley on Day 1. The team of three showed up on foot just after sunset. Early on Day 2, the team of three drove our vehicle home from Onion Valley, and the team of four went up and over Kearsarge, ending up at Road's End around sunset, so we drove the first vehicle home that night. Obviously, going eastbound is a lot more work than going westbound, so you can divide up your group appropriately. You don't want to wait too late in the season to do this. September is good. Early October is good. By November, there is risk from a storm closing the passes for vehicles, and hiking could get problematic.

--B.G.--

Jeff C.
(CascadeJeff) - F

Sierra running on 08/31/2010 21:59:24 MDT Print View

Art and Craig:
Thanks for the response. Yeah, it's getting late in the year and work and injuries always play a factor. You've heard of section hiking the JMT? How about section running the JMT? You could almost go hut to hut like in the alps! :) The possibilities are almost endless. For instance, camp in Tuolomne, run to YValley, sleep in a tent cabin in Curry, run back to TM, run to Reds, free hot tub, run back to TM. Anyways, there's another full moon on Sept 22 I think. That might be the last good shot this year. Maybe next. Plenty of time to plan, and train then. :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Sierra running on 08/31/2010 22:13:40 MDT Print View

Jeff, have you ever sought professional psychiatric advice?

Run out, run back, run out, run back...

Your knees have only so many good miles in them, and then you will be running on the rims.

--B.G.--

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Sierra running on 08/31/2010 22:21:23 MDT Print View

I think ultrarunning the Sierra is out for me this season- I can't see myself getting my act together for anything over a marathon in only a few weeks.

I know it's a bit far off, but is anyone interested in getting together to run the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim in a day this coming spring?
I was thinking late March/early April, hopefully beating crowds and heat but not too soon to deal with too much snow/ice at elevation.

Jeff C.
(CascadeJeff) - F

Grand Cyn DBLX on 09/01/2010 21:03:12 MDT Print View

My partner Tamas V. and I did a double crossing last October, 48 miles in 20 hours. Lots of fun till we hit the south wall, then sufferfest. I swore I'd never do it again. Now I'm thinkin about it, :)

Jeff C.
(CascadeJeff) - F

W to K on 09/01/2010 21:12:23 MDT Print View

Art:
You seemed to imply that a shorter run might be a possibility. North Lk to Lamarck Col to Darwin Bench to Muir Pass to South Lk is significantly shorter, tho I've never been that route.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: W to K on 09/01/2010 21:23:03 MDT Print View

Jeff
I meant to imply a shorter run for you, not me.
I have another project going that will trash me for a month. Late October may be late for the Sierras.

Craig
I did Grand Canyon Rim Rim Rim in early April 2009.
I've been wanting to get back there and better my time. I am up for it at some point.

Edited by asandh on 09/02/2010 06:58:26 MDT.