Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cooking glove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Cooking glove on 08/08/2010 01:40:25 MDT Print View

I use a heini pot and cook mostly FBC type stuff. Instead of making a handle for the pot, or putting fiberglass tape, or buying silicone bands, or whatever, I thought about just using a light cooking glove. this would allow me to hold the pot, remove the lid, handle the hot windscreen, mix very hot bag contents, etc. what kind of glove could i find at a retailer that would work okay? Cotton would soak up boiling water making it kind of dangerous. fleece might melt. rubber might be heavy. Wool maybe? is one material more heat resistant to others?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Cooking glove on 08/08/2010 01:42:55 MDT Print View

You could get nomex gloves from a surplus store for cheap.

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
methods on 08/08/2010 10:41:54 MDT Print View

I'm still a fan of using a piece of reflectix to lift the heini pot. It's the lightest and most insulated method I've found so far. However, I will ponder the glove thing and see what I can come up with.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Cooking glove on 08/08/2010 17:48:49 MDT Print View

My friend uses a very small piece of leather.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Cooking glove on 08/08/2010 18:39:31 MDT Print View

I usually take one of my liner gloves and fold it in half. Dual-use and all that. They're just your basic off the shelf thin glove, currently Mountain Hardwear brand. I'd imagine they're just some polyester/nylon/spandex blend. I've never had any melting issue with either of the pairs I've used in this manner.

Adam

Nicholas Truax
(nicktruax) - F

Locale: Montanada
Re: Cooking glove on 08/08/2010 21:10:27 MDT Print View

+1 to Adam's comment^^

In warmer environs where the liner gloves stay home, my bandana serves the same double (+) duty. No issues w/ years of use.

Richard Seifert
(ZMad2000) - F
Bandana on 08/09/2010 07:55:44 MDT Print View

I keep a Bandana in my cook kit to use as a rattling stopper and a pot grip. I am looking for something a little better but so far they are all way to much in cost or weight.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
cooking glove on 08/09/2010 10:52:29 MDT Print View

I also have used a bandana for a while and sometimes carry a small piece of leather. But i think a thin glove like Adam suggests will also stop rattling, replaces a cozy because you can slide the pot down into the glove, you can pickup hot windscreens and pot stands, and you can mix FBC bags really easy. Seems like a good idea. A thin nylon/polyester glove seems like a good fit. thanks all.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
re: nylon or polyester gloves on 08/10/2010 10:40:42 MDT Print View

> A thin nylon/polyester glove seems like a good fit. thanks all.

Note the low melting points of both those fabrics. I've made the mistake of trying to use a 'J-cloth' to pick up a Trangia frypan when I forgot my pan grab; result: blue mess stuck to the pan, and ruined cloth. Okay with boiling water, but, for anything hotter, no good.

Cotton and wool are much better at handling heat (the classic oven glove is usually just cotton).

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: cooking glove on 08/11/2010 15:01:42 MDT Print View

Military surplus, wool, insert for leather gloves can be modified/shortened to reduce weight. Not modified is an all season glove :-)

a leather, 3 finger, archery glove can be used :-)

JASON CUZZETTO
(cuzzettj) - MLife

Locale: NorCal - South Bay
RE: "Cooking glove" on 08/13/2010 18:58:54 MDT Print View

I use my army wool gloves still. I alsohave my dad's from the 70s thatare still good. Great cooking glove and they keep ypur hands warm.