write in rain notebook question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt DeWitt
(tritan) - F

Locale: Midwest
write in rain notebook question on 08/07/2010 18:38:36 MDT Print View

Do you guys and gals carry a write in the rain notebook and pen if so what size and which pen? It looks like its pretty ultralight tool but wondering if you find it necessary in your backpacking kit?

Thomas Ward
(TWard) - F
Re: write in rain notebook question on 08/07/2010 19:32:47 MDT Print View

I carry a 3x5 spiral pocket notebook (http://www.riteintherain.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=135&Category=939b4ef6-f9d7-49c5-9620-2d74aeb5e7ff) and use a small golf pencil. It is fairly light and I always have it on me during the day in my back pocket, but tend to leave it at home for trips. If I happen to bring a deck of cards, I may take a sheet for writing down the scores to a spades game.

Edited by TWard on 08/07/2010 19:33:21 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: write in rain notebook question on 08/07/2010 19:44:03 MDT Print View

I use a generic 3"x5" wirebound notebook, 90 sheets. I use a pencil unless it breaks, and then I use a ballpoint. Nothing special.

Ballpoint pen ink will tend to run if it gets too wet, but it is a lot easier to read if it stays dry.

--B.G.--

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: write in rain notebook question on 08/07/2010 20:01:47 MDT Print View

I use a Rite in the Rain mini notebook and a Sharpie micro permanent marker. I keep important contact numbers and other notes in it...

Paul Davis
(pdavis) - M

Locale: Yukon, 60N 135W
Fisher Space Pen refill with gaffer tape on thumb area... on 08/07/2010 21:20:30 MDT Print View

All: I use a Fisher Space Pen ink refill---not the whole pen, and just wrap adhesive tape around the barrel to make it thick enough to grip comfortably. In my experience they write on most, but not all surfaces, down to about -30C, where they become sluggish...after that, use a pencil!

John Sixbey
(Wolfeye) - F
what i learned on 08/08/2010 10:33:35 MDT Print View

We used that brand of notebooks when I did a survey work internship for a summer. You're supposed to use a hard pencil with them; the water resistance works through the action of the pencil head pushing through the layer of wax and onto the paper. They made a point about that (and penmanship) when I did my work, since it turns out that survey work notebooks were considered legal documents. :\

For a short hike I'll bring just a few sheets of the write in the rain paper, and for longer trips I'll bring the smallest notebook as a journal and for orientation notes. I use a golf pencil with some blaze orange duct tape wrapped around it.

Edited by Wolfeye on 08/08/2010 10:34:24 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
rite in rain on 08/08/2010 11:37:54 MDT Print View

I use their small notebook- the pages are removable (w/ a little work)- so I either lighten up the notebook by taking sheets out or for really light endeavors- pull out x amount of sheets and use duct tape as a binder- 0.5 oz for "notebook" and writing implement- I use mine w/ a Sharpie ultrafine point (8.5 grams)- writes great on the rite in rain- it's also nice for marking other items (including maps)

Photobucket

my review on the ultrafinepoint sharpie

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=23677&skip_to_post=191609#191609

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: write in rain notebook question on 08/08/2010 15:23:21 MDT Print View

Yes, one of the small spirals for long trips, especially in Europe. Sometimes a biro, sometimes a pencil. The notes help me label photos back at home.

Cheers

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
fisher stowaway space pen on 08/09/2010 09:27:03 MDT Print View

fisher Red Stowaway Space Pen...4 inches, 5 with top on the back... 0.2 ounces and writes in rain or cold or upsidedown. 10 bucks and i guess you could use it as a tent stake in emergency.

Edited by rbeard on 08/09/2010 09:28:39 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
write in rain notebook question on 08/09/2010 09:34:09 MDT Print View

I've been using the Rite in the Rain 391-M for a couple years. This is a 3x5 book with a stapled binding. I've taken the suggestion of Roger Caffin and have acquired some of the spiral bound books as they're more elegant. I've not yet had a chance to use one but am preparing them for the BPL store in the near future.