November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Volunteer Opportunities
Display Avatars Sort By:
Johnny Gish
(jtgish) - F

Locale: Coppell, Texas
Volunteer Opportunities ? on 07/19/2006 19:06:22 MDT Print View

Besides Wilderness Volunteers what other organizations are out there? I would like to do some volunteer work but there is not much around around Dallas, TX.

Edited by jtgish on 07/19/2006 19:06:57 MDT.

Peter McDonough
(crazypete) - F

Locale: Above the Divided Line
Re: Volunteer Opportunities ? on 07/20/2006 16:00:45 MDT Print View

Boy Scouts of America??

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
volunteering on 07/24/2006 09:22:59 MDT Print View

You might check with the Grand Canyon Trust, or Grand Canyon Institute. A friend of mine runs trips into/around the Grand Canyon doing exotic plant removal. Trips range from 3-14 days. You just show up...everything is provided sans gear.

Michael Wands
(walksoftly) - F

Locale: Piney Woods
Re: Volunteer Opportunities ? on 07/24/2006 11:21:57 MDT Print View

I'm also from Dallas. I volunteer with the American Hiking Association on their volunteer vacations program every summer to do trail maintenance in Arkansas. Met some great hikers from around the U.S.

I also volunteer with "Friends of the Lake" to keep White Rock Lake clean for day hiking.

Did some primitive campsite cleanup at Fairfield and Mineral Wells State Parks.

I think that there is plenty of work that needs to be done at area trails and parks, you just need to carve out your own niche.

Johnny Gish
(jtgish) - F

Locale: Coppell, Texas
Thanks on 07/24/2006 11:35:17 MDT Print View

Brian, I had heard about plant eradication in Glen Canyon but the Grand Canyon sounds interesting also. Also, I got my pack today, thanks for such a quick turnaround. The S/M fits perfectly.

Michael, I have helped with the second saturday spruce up at White Rock Lake before. I guess I'm looking to help out out longer trips. The AHA trips in Arkansas sound like a great trip. I will look into that.