Volunteer Opportunities
Display Avatars Sort By:
Johnny Gish
(jtgish) - F

Locale: Coppell, Texas
Volunteer Opportunities ? on 07/19/2006 19:06:22 MDT Print View

Besides Wilderness Volunteers what other organizations are out there? I would like to do some volunteer work but there is not much around around Dallas, TX.

Edited by jtgish on 07/19/2006 19:06:57 MDT.

Peter McDonough
(crazypete) - F

Locale: Above the Divided Line
Re: Volunteer Opportunities ? on 07/20/2006 16:00:45 MDT Print View

Boy Scouts of America??

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
volunteering on 07/24/2006 09:22:59 MDT Print View

JT-

You might check with the Grand Canyon Trust, or Grand Canyon Institute. A friend of mine runs trips into/around the Grand Canyon doing exotic plant removal. Trips range from 3-14 days. You just show up...everything is provided sans gear.

Michael Wands
(walksoftly) - F

Locale: Piney Woods
Re: Volunteer Opportunities ? on 07/24/2006 11:21:57 MDT Print View

JT

I'm also from Dallas. I volunteer with the American Hiking Association on their volunteer vacations program every summer to do trail maintenance in Arkansas. Met some great hikers from around the U.S.

I also volunteer with "Friends of the Lake" to keep White Rock Lake clean for day hiking.

Did some primitive campsite cleanup at Fairfield and Mineral Wells State Parks.

I think that there is plenty of work that needs to be done at area trails and parks, you just need to carve out your own niche.

Johnny Gish
(jtgish) - F

Locale: Coppell, Texas
Thanks on 07/24/2006 11:35:17 MDT Print View

Brian, I had heard about plant eradication in Glen Canyon but the Grand Canyon sounds interesting also. Also, I got my pack today, thanks for such a quick turnaround. The S/M fits perfectly.

Michael, I have helped with the second saturday spruce up at White Rock Lake before. I guess I'm looking to help out out longer trips. The AHA trips in Arkansas sound like a great trip. I will look into that.