Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Insultex

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Baker
(Slvravn) - MLife

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic
Insultex on 08/02/2010 13:43:25 MDT Print View

I have been reading about this lately and was wondering if anyone on BPL has any experience with this type of insulation. If so, what did you use it for and what have your thoughts been? Thanks for sharing.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Insultex on 08/02/2010 14:13:11 MDT Print View

I had some yardage on hand for a while, and never had the time to do anything with it.

It's an interesting product. It definitely has limitations, just like any other insulation, it's not a miracle product like some people have hyped themselves up to believe, but I can see alot of uses for it.

I could put my hand under a layer or two of it and get hot nearly instantly, but if you compress it at all, it seems to loose it's insulation quick. It doesn't seem to be a complete vapor barrier either, but it's not the most breathable material in the world.

Edited by jdempsey on 08/02/2010 14:13:49 MDT.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Insultex on 08/02/2010 14:29:49 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/25915/index.html?skip_to_post=213449#213449

Nathan Baker
(Slvravn) - MLife

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic
Re: Re: Insultex on 08/02/2010 20:39:18 MDT Print View

Javan - Thanks for your insight on the insultex.

Rich - I appreciate the link. It seems like it is best used for specific items and not necessarily for general use.

On a side note I did try to use the BPL search for insultex and did not find the discussion you noted. I even tried it again after I added the new post and couldn't find my posts.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
hammock forums on 08/03/2010 11:04:44 MDT Print View

Macntyre on hammock forums is making hammock underquilts with them, he utilizes some kind of rolled tube between layers. Worth looking into.