Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Southern California

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Haubert
(SoCalMike) - F

Locale: So Cal
SoCal Get Together on 12/21/2011 21:49:59 MST Print View

"North San Diego Here (Oceanside).

I think that if we have a get-together (SoCal Gathering of the Gear Geeks or SCGGG) it should be relatively central, so its not a gnarly drive for the San Diego contingent. San Gorgonio perhaps? Joshua tree (maybe a little far)?"

Jace,

I'm in North County, too. Good call on both of those spots. I was just in J Tree in November and had a blast. Gorgonio would be great and I'll throw San Jacinto into the mix, too, if we all start looking in the southern SoCal areas.

Michael

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE SOCAL on 12/21/2011 22:40:37 MST Print View

Bakersfield also, Christopher I have some hikes scheduled for this year, if you're interested shoot me a PM. One is coming up here real soon, New Years Eve in south Yosimite.

Jack

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
Beach on 12/21/2011 23:41:24 MST Print View

I live in Manhattan Beach. I think it would be great if we had a southern california group that met up occasionally.

Todd Hein
(todd1960) - MLife

Locale: Coastal Southern California
Thousand Oaks on 12/23/2011 14:56:06 MST Print View

I started a PCT Meetup for those interested in Section Hiking:

http://www.meetup.com/Pacific-Crest-Trail-Hiking-and-Backpacking-Meetup-Group/

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Jeff and Warren on 12/27/2011 19:06:35 MST Print View

Also in Costa Mesa and would be interested in a local backpack. I don't have a whole lot of experience with local trails.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Sounds good on 12/27/2011 19:15:58 MST Print View

John,

Ya, I'm just getting to know the one's in our back yard. The back bay and the duck club are two that are fun. And Laguna Canyon has some neat walks. I've only done one of them but hope to do more soon. Many of them are point-to-point so you need a car at both ends.

I bet there are others in the nearby locale who'd like to do a GTG at least a few times a year. I'm gonna look at Todd's invite.

Jeff, you interested?

John Kays
(johnk) - M

So Cal Suggestions on 12/27/2011 20:37:34 MST Print View

Hi Warren,

The Sespe Wilderness and Anza Borrego hikes mentioned above sound great for a weekend. I've done the Oak Flat hike from the Candy Store a few times but it is very dry. San Mateo Canyon photo displayed in the Photo or Post Trip forum appears to have plenty of water....just some thoughts.

John

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
Re: Jeff and Warren on 12/27/2011 21:56:52 MST Print View

I'd be interested. I'm working a lot of weekends right now, but I can try and make myself available.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

I'm interested on 12/31/2011 18:34:02 MST Print View

I'm interested in the hikes you mention John, but was more interested in doing local hikes in Newport, Irvine, and Laguna Hills during the winter months. Most of the time is spent on the trail instead of driving to a destination. Plus, it keeps me in shape for the more strenuous hikes. Maybe yourself, Jeff, and I can coordinate some nearby walks, if you two are interested. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Happy New Years everyone.

Michael Haubert
(SoCalMike) - F

SoCal Hiking on 12/31/2011 19:02:25 MST Print View

For those of you in the OC area interested in some day hikes until an overnighter can be worked out, I'm up for that. I'm pretty familiar with the Cleveland National Forest hikes off of the Ortega Hwy and the Holy Jim Trail, Laguna Canyon Wilderness, Aliso & Woods Canyon, etc. Holy Jim to Santiago Peak is a great hike, about 16 miles round trip and a great way to stay in shape with a big elevation change (though you never get over 5500 feet total) for those of you that like to stay sharp for peak bagging.

I'm a little under the weather right now, but send me a PM or post something here and let's hit the trail.

Michael
(SoCal Mike)

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Sounds good on 12/31/2011 19:19:43 MST Print View

Mike, cool. I've done a few hikes in those areas you mentioned. But 16 miles round trip would kill me. I usually do something over five and under ten. I did 7.1 on the Millard Canyon hike in the San Gabriels last Monday. Four hours with a few stops and 1600'/1600' gain/loss. Was fun, but took all day by the time I drove from Costa Mesa to Altadena, eat before trail, then drive home and eat out again. That's why I'm looking to do local for a while. -I know my local isn't your local.- Anyway, it would be fun for some of us to get together. Short drives to a 3-4 hour hike and we could use 1/2 to 2/3 day and still have a little time left over.

Michael Haubert
(SoCalMike) - F

SoCal Hiking on 12/31/2011 19:43:03 MST Print View

@ Warren: OC is pretty local for me. I work there, just live down south. So a day hike in your area is cool with me.

The next time I get a day hike organized, I'll put out a post here and anyone who is interested is more than welcome to join in. I'll mix it up between shorter and longer hikes.

I look forward to meeting with some fellow BPLers.

Michael

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

OK! on 12/31/2011 19:58:15 MST Print View

Likewise Mike. I look forward to getting out.

Matthew Or
(MattO) - F
San Diego on 12/31/2011 20:01:17 MST Print View

Moving to San Diego this coming April and can't wait.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Northern LA county on 12/31/2011 20:03:44 MST Print View

If anyone is interested in some hikes near Santa Clarita, Ventura, Angeles Crest, let me know.

Mike

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
OC day hikes on 12/31/2011 20:14:39 MST Print View

I'd be interested in joining you guys on some day hikes. Just let me know when you have something planned.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Southern California list on 12/31/2011 22:00:57 MST Print View

This thread is so long, I thought a list of those interested in participating would help. I can also do this with a direct pm link.

Brian TackettVentura
Jennifer WilliamsThousand Oaks
Roger AlsborgOrange County
Christopher HollyPasadena
Jeff McConnellOrange County
J WHighland Park
Ben TangPasadena
Ben CrowellOrange County
Adan LopezSan Gabriel Valley
James NaphasTorrance
Bryan EnglishSan Diego
Nick GatelPalm Springs
Marilyn PittsHighland Park
Stephen BarberLa Mirada
Dan GerkeTujunga
Hikin' JimPasadena
Michael HaubertOrange County
Don AmundsonPasadena
Jack BauerSan Diego
Ken ThompsonScripps Ranch
Piper S.Santa Barbara
Scott BentzLa Cañada Flintridge
Michael WhitmanSanta Clarita
Jorge DeLaSierraPoway
Ron BurlesonCorona
Charlie SchaezleinOrange County
Michael KaericherSanta Clarita
Nicholas BobroffCarpinteria
Fred ASan Diego
John ChongTujunga
Lennie NoblinTehachapi
John KaysOrange County
Joseph PetersonMenifee
Chris KoppLa Jolla
Eugene LeaftySan Diego
Craig WisnerAltadena
Aaron WChula Vista
Edward ZwibelSan Diego
Chad EagleLake Morena
Andy DuncanLaguna Beach
Warren GreerCosta Mesa
sky mountainHighland Park
Nick BrownHighland Park
Michael LevineLong Beach
James FitzgeraldPasadena
David Thomas
Michael Coc'k'rellStockton
Christopher YiBakersfield
Jace MullenSan Diego
Jack ElliottBakersfield
Erik DietzManhattan Beach
Todd Hein
John KaysCosta Mesa
Matthew OrSan Diego

Edited by leaftye on 12/31/2011 22:01:33 MST.

kenneth froese
(KenEvo)
Hello on 01/01/2012 10:30:08 MST Print View

Hi
I'm in Santa Monica, my main hiking partner is my 8 year old daughter. We have mainly been car camping JTree, Yosemite, Sequoia. I would like to start introducing her to backpacking over nights this year and some snow camping if it ever comes.

If there is anyone with children around the same age that would like to plan an over night that would be great. I was thinking about taking the tram up in palm springs and hiking to Round Valley for her first winter camping experience.

Best

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Where do you live? on 01/01/2012 10:52:25 MST Print View

Calabasas (West San Fernando Valley). I am including a cool link that I found for local hikes. I have used this in a couple of places atround the country. We have been on a number of hikes in the LA area and just completed the Backbone Trail (70 miles total) in the Santa Monica mountains. Best regards - Jon

http://www.localhikesbeta.com/default.aspx#list/cityzipbox/91302/40

Michael Haubert
(SoCalMike) - F

SoCal BPLers: Sitton Peak Day Hike Invitation on 01/05/2012 14:00:00 MST Print View

SoCal BPLers…

Many of us SoCal BPLers have been talking about getting together for local hikes so I thought I’d get the ball rolling.

On January 28, 2012, I’m planning on hiking to Sitton Peak in the San Mateo Wilderness.

Some Details:

Date – Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012
Time - 9:00 a.m. start time. (BY POPULAR DEMAND, NEW START TIME IS 9 A.M. Please try to arrive a little early)
Destination - Sitton Peak (3273 Feet elevation, 2150 elevation gain)
Length of Trip – About 10 miles, round trip.
Difficulty –Moderate, with a steep incline for the last .5 mile to get to the peak (poles recommended).
Duration – About 3.5 to 4 hours including some time to enjoy the peak’s view.
Notes – Bring water and food. There’s no water along the trail. You need an Adventure Pass to park. The candy store across the street from the parking lot usually sells them if you don’t already have one but I recommend getting one in advance.

More details and directions posted in the Trip Announcement/Hiking Partner forum.

PM me or post questions on the Trip Announcement/Hiking Partner forum.

Michael

Edited by SoCalMike on 01/21/2012 08:07:30 MST.