Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"Fixing" a gummy Silnylon tent fly?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Blake Wills
(blakeinhou) - F
"Fixing" a gummy Silnylon tent fly? on 07/29/2010 20:09:22 MDT Print View

Hello,
I have a Lightweight North Face Vector 22 tent I inherited. The tent looks brand new, not a spec of dirt;however, the rain fly is tacky or gummy on the underneath side. I assume this is Silnylon or some sort of silicone treated material. My question is- Can-Should-How do I get rid of the tackiness? The tent bag made from the same material is somewhat the same way, I put a bit of baby powder inside the bag and that seemed to work, but I am a bit reluctant to do it to the rainfly.
Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: "Fixing" a gummy Silnylon tent fly? on 07/29/2010 20:35:03 MDT Print View

Had this happen with the original version of my HubbaHubba. You probably have a urethane coated fly - not silnylon.

MSR replaced the tent with the newer model (at no charge) due to the defect. It's worth a call to TNF. But to answer your question the waterproofing is breaking down and I doubt there's a long term fix that you'll find satisfactory. Powder might work - I dunno.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: "Fixing" a gummy Silnylon tent fly? on 07/29/2010 20:52:56 MDT Print View

Silnylon never does that, but poorly-cured PU certainly does. It is NOT repairable.

Manufacturing defect - return.

Cheers

Blake Wills
(blakeinhou) - F
Re: Re: "Fixing" a gummy Silnylon tent fly? on 07/30/2010 06:00:51 MDT Print View

Thanks to both for the reply. Will send it in.
Thanks-Blake