Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Quick question: name of Wilderness first aid guide bookie?
Display Avatars Sort By:
johannes Eichstaedt
(nonBeing) - MLife

Locale: Fjäll, Himalayas
Quick question: name of Wilderness first aid guide bookie? on 07/29/2010 13:56:20 MDT Print View

Hello,

I remember reading in the BPL bible that there is a little book which is recommended if you are not that strong (or have forgotten some) first aid wilderness procedures. I cannot look it up as it's locked away in some box somewhere else.

So would anyone remember the reference to that book or one very much like it (light, indexed by body part I think)?

That would be very much appreciated.

(And yes, I know WFR and whatnot is a very worthwhile investment, more weight efficient et cetera et cetera...)

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Wilderness first aid guide bookie on 07/29/2010 15:20:37 MDT Print View

Mountaineering First Aid, published by the Mountaineers!

Note that this year REI is giving 2-day Wilderness First Aid classes all over the country, mostly in conjunction with NOLS' Wilderness Medicine Institute.

Mike Knapp
(IdahoMike) - F

Locale: Idaho
First Aid Book on 07/29/2010 18:17:20 MDT Print View

The one I carry is the Wilderness Medicine Field Guide published by NOLS. I threw it on my scale and it weighs 62 grams (a little over 2 oz.) and measures 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" and is about 1/4 inch thick. The size and weight not bad as books go, even though it makes the first aid kit a little heavier.

You can buy it online at the NOLS website store here: http://www.nols.edu/store/product.php?productid=16524&cat=3&page=1

johannes Eichstaedt
(nonBeing) - MLife

Locale: Fjäll, Himalayas
ty on 08/10/2010 09:39:40 MDT Print View

thank you for your advice... The NOLS guide ended up being exactly what I was looking for.

Kind regards from Bolivia,

johannes