Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Foolproof containers for oily stuff?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Foolproof containers for oily stuff? on 07/28/2010 12:02:34 MDT Print View

Suggestions regarding containers that can carry 1-6 oz. of oily, messy substances? (Coconut oil; ghee; almond butter; etc.)?

Of course, this thread is motivated by the recent failure of a little dropper bottle that I *thought* was leakproof!

- Elizabeth

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Foolproof containers for oily stuff? on 07/28/2010 12:42:33 MDT Print View

The hard sided mini Nalgene containers work well.

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Locale: Southern California
multiple bagging; individual-size prepackaged olive oil on 07/28/2010 12:47:49 MDT Print View

Yeah, I'm very interested in this myself, after just having had pesto leak all over the inside of my bear canister.

Bagging oils inside multiple layers of ziplocks may work.

I find single-serving packets of olive oil to be extremely convenient, although a little expensive: http://www.minimus.biz/

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Film cannisters on 07/28/2010 13:27:32 MDT Print View

Ive had good luck with film cannisters so far.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Foolproof containers for oily stuff? on 07/28/2010 14:11:45 MDT Print View

I take olive oil in a small screwtop Nalgene on shorter trips and in an 8oz disposable water bottle on longer trips. They've both proved foolproof (me being the fool), even filled at sea level and taken to 10k feet.

I don't often take goopy stuff but if I did it would probably go into a widemouth screwtop Nalgene or equivalent. Stowing that in a ziplock would provide some insurance.

Cheers,

Rick

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
mini bottles on 07/28/2010 15:58:49 MDT Print View

We take olive oil in little Mini liquor bottles. They seem to hold the seal well. Most other things do not !

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
Re: Foolproof containers for oily stuff? on 07/28/2010 19:28:05 MDT Print View

+1 on nalgene screw top containers. I've tried other snap lids and what happens is everything looks fine when you load it with butter or whatever. But then it's inside your pack where it's upside down and it's 100 degrees and it turns into a very thin, slick liquid that finds it's way through the seal...

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
screw tops on 07/29/2010 12:00:44 MDT Print View

another yes to the small Nalgene screw top containers.

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
nay on the screw tops on 07/30/2010 18:25:53 MDT Print View

I'm surprised to see so many people saying positive things about the nalgene screw tops. I have one that leaks oil every time. For a while I was carrying it in a ziploc bag (because I wanted a wide-mouth container for oil-packed sundried tomatoes), but now I've given up and just use an 8 oz juice bottle for straight olive oil.

The bottle I have is this one, in an 8 oz size:
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Nalgene-PC-Jars_10090287_10208_10000001_-1_

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Locale: Southern California
Re: nay on the screw tops on 07/30/2010 19:12:46 MDT Print View

@nathan: The odd thing is that the Moosejaw page's description of the jars says, "Jars are not recommended for liquid storage." But yours doesn't leak? If they're not for liquids, I don't know what that means they *are* supposed to be for. What does PC stand for?

Zachary Zrull
(zackcentury) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
hotel soap bottles on 07/30/2010 19:29:18 MDT Print View

I think a lot of people use the travel-size hotel shampoo/conditioner bottles for one thing or another, and I'm guessing they'd be fine for food too.

Tohru Ohnuki
(erdferkel) - F

Locale: S. California
Re: nay on the screw tops on 07/30/2010 19:46:02 MDT Print View

Hmm, that looks like a jar, and it does say not for liquids. I meant one of these:

REI link

"What does PC stand for?" Probably polycarbonate (Lexan)

Edited by erdferkel on 07/30/2010 19:47:55 MDT.

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
wide-mouth jars on 07/31/2010 15:55:27 MDT Print View

Yeah, I see that it says not for liquid on the website. I got mine years ago at a moosejaw retail shop, on the staff's recommendation about a wide-mouth container for peanut butter. Maybe it would work fine with industrial homogenized peanutbutter, but putting any sort of natural stuff in it results in peanut oil all over your pack. I started trying to use sun-dried tomatoes in it a couple years later, when I'd forgotten about the earlier peanut experiences.
----
And to clarify: the nalgene bottle I linked to *does* leak, so I've replaced it with a "disposable" bottle that came full of juice, which seals fine.

Edited by nathanm on 07/31/2010 15:56:50 MDT.