Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Camp Shoe Recommendations
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Sanger
(IPARider) - MLife
Alternative needed on 07/26/2010 12:55:13 MDT Print View

I have long considered this a need/opportunity for product development, as there are IMO no good alternatives for something that is really light, supportive and durable enough to wear for swift river crossings, and that work well for kicking around camp.

I can't stand crocs (and they really aren't THAT light or compact), tevas and chacos are too heavy). Neoprene water socks soak up water and aren't that quick to dry, and going super minimalist (flip flops made of an insole and twine) wouldn't cut it in swift water.

I'm left thinking well ventilated lightweight trail runners, kept on to cross rivers, may be the best option.

I wish Inov8 would make a water shoe for to fill this niche...

Edited by IPARider on 07/26/2010 12:56:22 MDT.

Jason Lande
(jtlande) - F
Roclite 190? on 07/26/2010 13:11:09 MDT Print View

Anyone checked out the roclite 190? Getting closer to what folks here are looking for?

Matt Sanger
(IPARider) - MLife
Recolite 190 on 07/26/2010 13:39:26 MDT Print View

I've got the recolite 190, and they are SUPER comfy, and would be the ideal apres-hike camp shoe if you want to pack something just for that purpose.

However, they aren't ideal for river crossings IMO (loosish fit, somewhat flimsy upper material, and enough upper material and insole - which makes drying out slower than many river sandals).

I'd like a river sandal with a lightweight croc-like sole (but not the boxy fit), and a simple set of straps sufficient to keep em on in swift water.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
sand sock breathability? on 07/26/2010 15:20:06 MDT Print View

how well do those sand socks breathe? would they be a good replacement for socks in summer weather?

James Taylor
(Stahl) - F

Locale: Montana
These worked well, IMO on 07/26/2010 20:45:15 MDT Print View

The http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901 worked well for me. They fit in the shelf of my blackbird, I could put them on in the dark without a light, they weigh next to nothing, they were durable enough to avoid being punctured by rocks, sticks, pinecones, etc. They were also a joy to put on after a day of hiking, due to weight, flexibility and breathability. And at 5.50 a pair, I can replace them every 3-4 trips and never feel a twinge.

Jason Lande
(jtlande) - F
Mesh racing flats/spikeless shoes? on 07/27/2010 00:13:00 MDT Print View

These aren't as super-lightweight as many are looking for, but I like the idea of a lightweight mostly-mesh shoe for camp that could also be a river crossing shoe (with the idea that it'd dry pretty quickly). Anyone tried using these, or think these could be a good solution? 6-7 oz per shoe...

Like:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/BKW1347/
or
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ASC1448/
or
http://www.6pm.com/product/7521497/color/215827

/Jason

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
Re: Re: Camp Shoe Recommendations on 07/27/2010 06:48:06 MDT Print View

+1 on Chacos! Mine have roughly 1000 miles (not including gardening, walking/biking around town, etc.) on them, and still going strong. Amazing arch support.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Sprint Aqautics on 07/27/2010 06:52:16 MDT Print View

Mesh Nylon Shoes look good for what I need. One question is how is the sizing? Accurate?

I am always hesitant to buy shoes online because my feet run from a size 10.5-12 depending on what I am buying.

Thanks

Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Nike First String slide on 07/27/2010 12:54:56 MDT Print View

My Nike First String slides (M8/W9) weigh 8.0 oz. for the pair; and are ridiculously comfortable. (Can't stand flip-flops with the toe thingie.)

I usually don't bring camp shoes, but these are my choice if I do.

I don't believe in using camp shoes for stream crossings. Too easy to have them just float away off your feet; and they provide no traction or toe protection against rocks in the water. Just wear your regular trail runners/boots for that.

- Elizabeth

Derek Kind
(berethorn)
A couple more light runners on 07/27/2010 13:40:32 MDT Print View

Good tip with those Nike sandals, they're light and quite cheap.

The lightest running shoes I've found, looking online, so far are the Asics Piranha SP 3 (4.6oz each), and the Mizuno Wave Universe 3 (4oz each). Neither of them are cheap.

Asics: http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240013807
Mizuno: http://www.zappos.com/mizuno-wave-universe-3-white-red

I'm looking for a shoe to take along as an alternate for my hiking boots when backpacking in Iceland. Something light to keep in my pack that I can wear when the boots are completely unnecessary (I must bring the boots, though).

Edited by berethorn on 07/27/2010 13:42:17 MDT.

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Crocs are Slippery on 07/27/2010 14:51:58 MDT Print View

I found that trying to use Crocs for walking in a river can be a sure way to end up in the water. I used them on one trip and have not taken any since. I was nice since I slipped and took a good dip in a river at Philmont. You are not supposed to swim in the rivers. Oops! So, it's trailrunners only for me.

jeffrey bennett
(jollygreen)

Locale: Near the bottom
Sanuks on 07/27/2010 16:05:55 MDT Print View

If you love comfort and you are not too worried about the weight. The Sanuk Donnys weigh in at 14oz a pair. These are my everyday shoes and they are "Oyeah" on the comfort scale.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Crocs on 07/28/2010 13:55:12 MDT Print View

Went with the Crocs Caymen. Thanks for the unput. Would have wanted other sandals recommended but time is a factor and needed them tomorrow. Couldn't find the Target/Walmart knock offs. Outta season. The Crocs seem comfortable but they are ugly as hell. Also not as light as I have read. Not 5oz but 6.5oz for a size 10.

Thanks again

JOHN ZENNER
(johnz)

Locale: East Bay
Crocs on 07/28/2010 17:15:51 MDT Print View

Backpacking for me is simply transportation to fishing sites. We use crocks because, unlike the other poster, I think they offer a lot of support and protection in the water. The soles are thick cushioning you from rocks, and protection is pretty good too. I've had no issues with slipping wearing crocks. Walk in the river all day in them and they are dry in 5 minutes after exiting the stream. A little heavier than other options, but a hell of a lot more support.