Locale: southern appalachians
homemade running shoe on 07/22/2010 06:50:53 MDT Print View

http://homemadeshoes.wikispaces.com/Icebreaker

Angelo Radano
(zalmen_mlotek) - F

Locale: New England
Can you dig it? on 07/29/2010 09:34:17 MDT Print View

I dig em!

Can you find NB152s anywhere? After a quick google search they seem to be out of stock everywhere and no longer made. I bought a pair a couple years ago and haven't used them yet, I need to get on that!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Can you dig it? on 07/29/2010 15:40:13 MDT Print View

Typically a shoe model at any jogger company stays current for 12 months. Stupid marketing idea, but that's our consumer society. I would say they are long gone.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 07/29/2010 15:40:44 MDT.

John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
Durability on 08/24/2010 09:11:09 MDT Print View

Sorry to revive this, but I was looking through old threads and this looks really neat. Does anyone think that these would actually be practical for UL backpacking? I think that they would not have enough support, and the soles dont look like they would last very long. Greaet concept though, and I'm really tempted to try and build them.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Durability on 08/24/2010 16:45:40 MDT Print View

Wow! That's amazing. I was just sitting here lamenting my in ability to wear shoes anymore and wondering if there was somewhere I could enroll in shoemaking so I could make shoes that fit me. Perhaps if I used one of these for the sole I could make simple hiking shoes.
http://www.cobblersupplies.com/servlet/the-103/VIBRAM-148-Kletterlift-Rubber/Detail

John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
Soles on 08/24/2010 19:26:57 MDT Print View

I like the idea of being able to make your own soles, but I would do the EVA foam for the midsole, and then some other sort of a rubber to make the tread out of. Its definitely a promising idea, I just wish I could think of a rubber material that would hold up to backpacking

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Re: Soles on 08/26/2010 19:21:26 MDT Print View

How about tire rubber that comes off retreads on the highway?

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Wowzers! on 08/26/2010 19:30:56 MDT Print View

You have to be impressed with this. What's next? Distill your own ethanol for "stove fuel"?

Stargazer

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Wowzers! on 08/26/2010 20:55:35 MDT Print View

Wowzers is right! I woke up the other morning thinking of making my own shoes. I have no idea why, but this looks like a great excuse to give it a try. I have several old pairs of shoes that could be used for a donor sole.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Wowzers! on 08/26/2010 21:13:59 MDT Print View

You have to be impressed with this. What's next? Distill your own ethanol for "stove fuel"?

I wouldn't bother with ethanol, but I've been thinking about making concentrated sodium hypochlorite.

Reusing old shoe soles sounds like a good idea to save weight.

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Wowzers! on 08/26/2010 22:43:12 MDT Print View

>>I wouldn't bother with ethanol, but I've been thinking about making concentrated sodium hypochlorite.

I think "Pool Chlorine" hypochlorite can run to ca. 15% while regular bleach is usually about 3-5% hypochlorite. I'm not sure hypochlorite is stable above 15% or so. The concentrated stuff is also pretty nasty to handle.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Soles on 08/26/2010 23:09:18 MDT Print View

"How about tire rubber that comes off retreads on the highway?"

Now you are talking about Ho Chi Minh Sandals.

Ask any Vietnam vet.

--B.G.--

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Re: Re: Re: Soles on 08/27/2010 14:01:49 MDT Print View

Except instead of sandals, use the tire rubber for shoe soles. Or instead of ho chi minh sandals, make some Chacos.

John Smith
(jcar3305) - F

Locale: East of Cascades
Soles for home made shoes on 09/01/2011 19:31:04 MDT Print View

Couldn't Mt. Bike tire treads work if they were cut up?

Ben Jamin
(virtualfrog2000) - F
Not the first on 09/01/2011 23:31:11 MDT Print View

Another woman, Piper something I believe, has done a similar arrangement for hiking shoes. I know she posted here and on whiteblaze about it, maybe last winter?

Anyways, you can buy actual shoe soling materials online or from cobblers. Most common are soling sheets with just some texture, but Vibram does sell soles for their boots and (some?) shoes. Some examples here, though it looks like they won't sell direct. http://www.vibram.com/vibramrepair/catalogo.php?id_categoria=2&livello=1&lingua=2