Locale: Montana
MYOG: Silnylon Backpack on 07/20/2010 16:36:11 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

MYOG: Silnylon Backpack

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
MYOG: Silnylon Backpack on 07/20/2010 17:07:06 MDT Print View

Great to see PortlandHikers.org's very own Jerry having another article published here! Congratulations, Jerry!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Thanks grannyhiker on 07/20/2010 18:16:46 MDT Print View

And thanks for mentioning it on portlandhikers.org, a great site if you are into hiking around Portland Oregon

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Hi Jerry on 07/20/2010 18:44:10 MDT Print View

Most interesting. Very neat and simple. Compliments.

I agree entirely about external pockets being a bad thing, with one exception. I use something on the back to hold a sit mat or two: it's extremely convenient not having to stuff these inside after the pack has been filled.

As for eating on the run - what a waste of a beautiful outdoors. We go for 2.5 hours then have a sit down and feed. Coffee sometimes features as well. Much more pleasant.

Water getting in - it happens. I put almost everything into silnylon stuff sacks lined with PE bags. Never fails, weighs extremely little. OK - skip the gas canister and tent poles!

Cheers

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: MYOG: Silnylon Backpack on 07/20/2010 20:16:34 MDT Print View

Thank you for the fine article.

This is the first time I have ever seen all of the components of a pack itemized and weighed out (and priced too!) individually. The design is interesting as well, yet I appreciate that bit of information equally.

Nate Lee
(nathan52) - MLife
Nice bottom on 07/21/2010 07:14:39 MDT Print View

Tyvm for the detailed build, In particular, thanks for the detailed pics of the bottom creation. I've always done it differently but this looks so clean and will try it next time.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

box bottom on 07/21/2010 07:55:11 MDT Print View

I read about that in Ray Jardine's book.

It's always amazing to me that when you're done, a square bottom appears.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
What??? on 07/21/2010 11:12:48 MDT Print View

What? You don't actually TAKE all that toilet paper that you show in that photo?!?!?!

Roger Caffin

Re: What??? on 07/21/2010 16:14:03 MDT Print View

> What? You don't actually TAKE all that toilet paper that you show in that photo?!?!?!

Well, only sometimes.
You would be surprised how grateful some walkers are when offered a whole roll of TP after forgetting to bring any themselves - or after having experimented with going without for one 'sitting'.

Cheers
(Couldn't resist!)

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: What??? on 07/22/2010 10:13:59 MDT Print View

There ya go...ruining backpacking for the rest of us.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: What??? on 07/22/2010 18:50:39 MDT Print View

Jerry - nice work on the pack design and construction. Great article.

TP - is it a sin to steal a roll from a public restroom if you forget to pack it and that restroom is the last toilet before several days of toilet-less backpacking?

it happens : )

Jim Cowdery
(james.cowdery) - MLife

Locale: Central Florida
back panel on 07/23/2010 19:59:36 MDT Print View

Does the back panel add any stiffness to the pack? Did you consider putting your poles on the outside edges of the back-panel for extra stiffness?

Any thoughts of a pad pocket between your ribbed back-panel and the main body of the pack?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

stiffness, poles, pad pocket on 07/25/2010 13:52:05 MDT Print View

The back panel does add a little stiffness.

Good idea - poles at side on back.

Pad pocket? I think it's required to have a pad rolled up inside the pack bag in order to give it some stiffness using just lightweight silnylon. If you also wanted a pad, you could make a pocket to put it in. I'de probably eliminate the strips of foam in that case?

So many possible choices. It can keep us busy indefinitely trying different things out : )

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Hi Jerry on 07/31/2010 23:08:00 MDT Print View

Roger,

< As for eating on the run - what a waste of a beautiful outdoors.
> We go for 2.5 hours then have a sit down and feed.
> Coffee sometimes features as well. Much more pleasant.

I have always believed that stopping like that is nice, but that fueling myself has to be convenient enough to do even if I do not want to stop -- such as stormy or very cold weather. I would be very uneasy with a setup that meant I *had* to stop to get anything to eat.

-- Bob

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Hi Jerry on 08/01/2010 03:59:31 MDT Print View

Hi Bob

> I would be very uneasy with a setup that meant I *had* to stop to get anything to eat.
Very true, and I agree.
On day walks I just put the tarp up.

On longer walks - well, very often we find some shelter. Around the Blue Mts here there are cliffs everywhere, and where there's a cliff there might be a cave - well, a small overhang anyhow.

Otherwise, we do carry a range of biscuits, including some 'sweet' ones which we normally have at lunch. Been a few times in pouring rain when we have stopped, hunched over the pack and got out the packet of sweet biscuits, broken off a handful each, closed the packs and continued walking gently, while munching.

Just cold - not fussed. Put something on.

But yeah, some flexibility is needed.

cheers

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

re: eating on 08/02/2010 09:51:11 MDT Print View

"I have always believed that stopping like that is nice, but that fueling myself has to be convenient enough to do even if I do not want to stop -- such as stormy or very cold weather. I would be very uneasy with a setup that meant I *had* to stop to get anything to eat."

Different people have different styles that work for them.

I have had small pockets attached to the shoulder straps that I have put a snack in, or even some water. I just haven't bothered to do so yet on this version.

Or you could have a snack in your pocket.

Bobby McDonald
(beardie) - F
Silnylon Backpack's on 04/20/2011 02:47:48 MDT Print View

Jerry

The using of loo rolls to get the shape is brilliant and will help me at last get the correct form of the BP. A constant problem for me along with the shoulder straps. Their placement, really.

Thanks for feeding my imagintaion and setting me off on another attempt of making the perfect BP for my needs. I'm about to start my 14th effort, the others to date(2 years worth) have all worked ok, but not been just right.

Since starting to make my own, I've reduced my base load from 30 lbs to 14 lbs including packweight.

Thanks once again for a neat project.

beardie

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Silnylon Backpack's on 04/20/2011 07:06:34 MDT Print View

I don't know who is brilliant, but I am just a copycat

You've made 13 backpacks???

I've only made maybe 6 : )