Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sugru application: Ti mug lip
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Sugru application: Ti mug lip on 07/19/2010 18:25:06 MDT Print View

A while back I posted about a neat little product I found called Sugru. Sugru is a hand-moldable silicon putty. There's all sorts of details on the site... but basically once I saw this, I had to get it to put a lip guard on my Ti mugs - I love these mugs, but they can sting when drinking hot beverages.

This stuff is pretty easy to work with - it's kinda like tacky play-dough. It took me about 5 minutes to do this quick job. I'm not much of a sculptor, so don't judge my uneven application :)

Here's a pic of my first shot at it - this is after testing it (successfully) and putting it through the dishwasher.
REI Ti Mug with Sugru Lip Guard

Important to note: you must make sure your hands are completely dry when you start, otherwise it gets a little gummy.

And for the gram weenies: One sachet of Sugru (which is all that was needed here) is 5g. :)

Edited by Kieran on 07/19/2010 18:25:58 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Sugru application: Ti mug lip on 07/19/2010 18:43:14 MDT Print View

Another option, from Snow Peak. Hot lips.

hotlips

Could you use one of those silicone wrist bands also?

Edited by kthompson on 07/19/2010 18:45:14 MDT.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Re: Re: Sugru application: Ti mug lip on 07/19/2010 18:50:22 MDT Print View

Could you use one of those silicone wrist bands also?
Yeah, there's a few other options, like also just using rubber bands. I just prefer this one... truly a personal preference, and another option

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Sugru application: Ti mug lip on 07/19/2010 18:57:40 MDT Print View

OK.

Edited by kthompson on 07/19/2010 18:58:16 MDT.

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
Looks like a fantastic MYOG resource on 07/20/2010 04:10:32 MDT Print View

It looks like a fantastic material for all sorts of MYOG uses. I had my eye on one of those hot lips gizmos but with this I should be able to make my own. Off to order a few sachets. (www.sugru.com)

I hoped you noticed the warning about direct contact with food and potential allergy issues. I expect that much of this is the usual covering of back sides and the inability of small manufacturers to pay for lots of testing but it does need to be heeded.

Edited by KramRelwof on 07/20/2010 04:14:58 MDT.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Re: Looks like a fantastic MYOG resource on 07/20/2010 07:31:27 MDT Print View

I hoped you noticed the warning about direct contact with food and potential allergy issues.
yeah, i think their concern is that the cured surface is slightly porous (bumpy) and so yeah, if I were to use it on the inside of the mug, I think there'd be a risk of the Sugru harboring germs. So I would agree that you wouldn't want to use it as a food surface, but I don't see any harm in what I've done here, and my lips didn't swell after drinking so I think I'm good here.