Air mattress on thin groundsheet?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elizabeth Tracy
(mariposa) - M

Locale: Outside
Air mattress on thin groundsheet? on 07/19/2010 11:14:13 MDT Print View

After many years sleeping on closed-cell foam, I finally am sleeping on an air mattress (POE Ether 6)...And now my back doesn't hate me anymore.

Problem is, now I worry about it puncturing.

Is a single layer of Polycro groundsheet enough to protect my air mattress from punctures? I did that on my last trip, but it had me shaking in my boots! Is the Polycro really puncture resistant enough?

Of course, it's only a problem when I go tentless. (When I have my Tarptent Squall, there are two layers protecting my mattress: The Squall floor, plus a layer of Polycro under that.)

- Elizabeth

Wallace Hunter
(jeepingetowah) - F

Locale: South Central
Me personally... on 07/19/2010 11:55:50 MDT Print View

If I were going to put myself in the situation of using a tarp, bivy combo, I would use something like a Gossamer Gear foam. Seems rather light but much more durable.

Here is a link to what I personally would choose:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html
Weight:
1/8" varies: 1.9 - 2.1 oz. (54 - 60 g.)

Jim Carr
(jcarr) - F

Locale: Humboldt County
air mattress on 07/19/2010 13:24:43 MDT Print View

I've used just a ground sheet and air mattress with no problems. Just check the ground for sharp objects.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Air mattress on thin groundsheet? on 07/19/2010 15:51:22 MDT Print View

It's all about site preparation. Those who are careful and check for spikes have no problems. The POE Ether Elite is fairly robust.

Cheers
PS: watch it in the desert!

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Air mattress on thin groundsheet? on 07/19/2010 16:27:28 MDT Print View

Another option similar to G Gear.

http://www.suluk46.com/products%20%20-%20P3%20PG%20Sheet.html

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Fine Tooth Comb on 07/20/2010 10:27:24 MDT Print View

Just go over the area under your tarp with a fine toothed comb and you'll be fine. I've been using a GG polycro ground cloth and a Prolite small with no adverse effects. Actually I'm not sure how beneficial the ground cloth is except for keeping things clean and keeping me from absorbing some moisture from the ground (it collects a lot of condensation on its underside).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Fine Tooth Comb on 07/20/2010 12:42:12 MDT Print View

+1 with being more careful in the desert. I had to move my entire camp after I set up my Double Rainbow because I realized I was too close to a tree that was dropping pea-sized thorny nubbs.