Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Malone
(redwood22) - F

Locale: Santa Cruz/Scott's Valley CA
Enjoy yourselves! on 02/25/2011 20:37:00 MST Print View

I really really wish I could go, but I can't really spend the night out there and it's 90 mins from my house. I hope you guys have a great time! It should be a treat with some snow views.

Edited by redwood22 on 02/25/2011 22:15:42 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
All packed! on 02/25/2011 22:56:16 MST Print View

I'm still a little under the weather but finally decided tonight that I'm not going to miss this. I just finished packing my gear. With beers and a fake log on board my pack is anything but light! I'm hoping to be there by 9:30 and looking forward to meeting everyone.

BTW, I'm the guy who's lugging the giant tootsie roll around! Store was out of Duraflame logs so I got this other monstrosity instead... looks almost edible LOL.

Edited by JacobD on 02/25/2011 22:58:03 MST.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: All packed! on 02/25/2011 23:10:52 MST Print View

Jacob,

Glad that you could make it!

Will see you there...getting my food packed now.

So far, it is cold, but no rain and nothing about snow so far.

Getting my log packed too!

-Tony

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
the weather turned ok on 02/26/2011 17:05:56 MST Print View

back this afternoon from the fri night ho-down with the crew. the weather turned better and better as the night wore on. most tents were frosty this morning. mark brought a TON of wood.

doug and ken t. kept plying me with cheap rum and somebody kicked a milkcrate out from under me at the campfire.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
It happened. on 02/27/2011 16:47:31 MST Print View

and it was fun! A great group of people, a little adventure and some cool gear too.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/27/2011 16:54:22 MST.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F - M
Fun meeting on 02/27/2011 17:42:34 MST Print View

Thanks to everyone for making this a fun meeting.

I thoroughly enjoyed our creek hopping hike yesterday with Dave and Greg. That was a cool little hike. Dave took photos of the collapsed cabin we found along the creek. The people who turned around at China Hole missed out on a little adventure. We made it back just in time for the wood stove contest. That was a nice lession in: "Skill is at least as important as (expensive) gear". Great job Aaron!

Seeing all the shelters was amazing. It gave me one or two ideas ...
And thanks Jacob for showing me the Kooka Bay pad - my wife might enjoy one ...

See you all on the trail --- or next year.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Fun meeting on 02/27/2011 18:05:44 MST Print View

One of the fixer-uppers in Henry Coe Park.

collapsing cabin

--B.G.--

Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
Re: Re: Fun meeting on 02/27/2011 18:54:31 MST Print View

My daughter, Phoebe, and I really enjoyed the trip. We experienced a little snow, a lot of sleet, cold temps (24 deg F Sunday morning ) and lots of friendly conversation. Can't wait until next year!

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F - M
Fixer Upper on 02/27/2011 19:07:57 MST Print View

Bob,

That is exactly the cabin Dave, Greg and I saw yesterday on our creek hopping expedition. When did you take that photo?

Manfred

a b
(Ice-axe)
Thanks Everyone for an awesome BPL event! on 02/27/2011 19:27:59 MST Print View

Thankyou to everyone for making me feel welcome at the BPL hike in Henry Coe state park! It is so great to hang out with such kind and generous folks and swap gear and trail talk.. even if it was 20 degrees most of the time!
Here is a photo I took that shows the dedication of the hikers involved.. notice the ultra light top secret boxes that fellow is carrying.. hmm what could they be used for?BPL Henry Coe 2011

I really liked seeing all the different tarps and tents.. and ponchos:BPL Henry Coe 2011 Tents

Thanks to Ken and Ken and BPL!BPL Henry Coe 2011 Hike

Morgan Rucks
(rucksmtr) - F
What would Bob Gross do? on 02/27/2011 19:35:18 MST Print View

Priceless...

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike" on 02/27/2011 19:42:07 MST Print View

The cabin is even more rundown now....

Cabin

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike" on 02/27/2011 19:53:26 MST Print View

Maybe that cabin used to be at the top of these stairs?

Cabin foundation

Rock hoppin'. Manfred was the master at line selection....

And thanks, Manfred, for showing us how to geocache.

Rock Hopping

Jeremy Pendrey
(Pendrey) - MLife

Locale: California
Good times on 02/27/2011 20:24:29 MST Print View

Had a great time too. As you all know, Tony "snapshot" Wong will be posting pics later. He's planning on starting a new thread in photos. Thanks Kenx2.

Dylan Snodgrass
(TrueNorth)

Locale: San Francisco, CA
3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike on 02/27/2011 20:31:57 MST Print View

What a fantastic trip. Thank you Ken and Ken for leadership and direction you guys deserve a medal for organizing this. I think it's safe to say that everyone enjoyed themselves immensely, I know I did. My favorite was the "burn off" totally hilarious operator error made for some fun times. Looking forward to tying in with new BPL acquaintances for summer hiking in the Sierra, etc. BPL folks are awesome!

Jason Malone
(redwood22) - F

Locale: Santa Cruz/Scott's Valley CA
Shack on 02/27/2011 21:05:23 MST Print View

I found that house on the MLS for $800,000. The seller is obviously targetting silicon valley's finest CEOs! I'll be there next year for sure. Maybe we should also have a summer gathering?

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: 3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike on 02/27/2011 21:19:12 MST Print View

I too enjoyed the weekend. Thanks to every one of you. I enjoyed the conversations and connections made with other avid fans of the wilderness tribe. You are all doing some cool things with some cool toys! The equipment was remarkable. The conversation, and excitement even more so. My highlight was realizing how most of our gear works adequately well, and that by and large, it's all pretty similar. Gear lust quenched for the most part.

Hope to see some of you on the trails.

Stay in touch!

Dylan, thanks again for the ride and conversation!

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike on 02/27/2011 21:26:07 MST Print View

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting many new people and catching up with friends. Thanks to Cameron for the beer. Thanks to everyone who supplied and transported wood for the fires. Most of all, thanks to the Ken T and Ken H for organizing another great meetup. See everyone at the 4th annual!

Cheers,

David

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
3rd Annual Bay Area BPL Hike on 02/27/2011 21:41:37 MST Print View

Thank you Ken&Ken for another fun, safe gathering.
Can't wait to see what Tony captured. Some great homemade stuff on display along with the newest cottage gear.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Henry Coe on 02/27/2011 21:43:15 MST Print View

7.5 Hour drive each way and totally worth it. Totally glad I didnt miss this one. I got to reconnect with some old friends and to finally meet alot of you. Ken and Ken, thanks for everything man. I scored on some gear, made some really exciting plans for this year, made some new friends, and quite possibly took the award for the worst cowboy coffee ever made. The good fire-side hiker vibe was epic. Henry Coe 2011