Forum Index » GEAR » UL Packs... Demo? Recommendations?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
UL Packs... Demo? Recommendations? on 07/17/2010 16:25:28 MDT Print View

Hi all. My wife and I are still working our way towards more UL setup's coming from mainstream gear. Right now we both use Gregory z55 packs, which are really comfortable packs... but when I look at some of these UL options out there coming in 24oz (or more!) under what ours weigh it makes me want for something better!

We got our packs online after trying a bunch on at REI, which is the closest source for gear in our area. But what about some of these UL packs, is the only option to buy and try?

I'm not sure how frameless packs are going to feel... never carried one. Right now I'm curious about the SMD Traveler and the ULA Ohm. Recommendations on others are welcome.

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
UL packs on 07/17/2010 22:10:48 MDT Print View

My husband moved recently from a Z55 to a ULA Ohm. The Z55 is a pretty comfortable pack, but happened to rest right on the part of his lower back where he fractured a vertebra, so, after a few miles, he was uncomfortable. He has found the Ohm to be very comfortable and causes no back pain--plus saving a couple of lbs. over the Gregory pack.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Thanks Kimberly on 07/18/2010 21:54:13 MDT Print View

The Ohm sounds like a good pack. It's good to hear of someone going from the same pack I have to one I'm looking at. I may end up buying one and just give it a try.

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
UL packs on 07/18/2010 22:22:21 MDT Print View

If you don't like it, you can return it or easily re-sell it here. It's a terrific pack.

Mike Knapp
(IdahoMike) - F

Locale: Idaho
ULA Circuit on 07/22/2010 19:24:42 MDT Print View

I contacted Chris at ULA and got his advice when choosing between the Ohm and the Circuit, and he directed me toward the Circuit because of a long trip in my plans. The pack is just over 2 lbs and it carries really well. I have been very happy with my choice so far. It might be a good option if you are just transitioning to lightweight gear because it can handle a little more load than the Ohm. Something to think about.

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F - M

Locale: Washington, DC Area
I have Both on 07/22/2010 19:43:02 MDT Print View

I have both the ULA Circuit and ULA Ohm.

Ohm is my mostly 3-season go-to pack and Circuit is my winter, very late fall and very early spring pack.

You can't go wrong with either though the Ohm is much lighter than the Circuit and holds about 3900 cu in.

You can go to ULAs YouTube channel to get more info. They have a short section on the Ohm and a very detailed review of the Circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UlaEquipment.

Edited by mak52580 on 07/22/2010 19:44:34 MDT.

Andy Schill
(Aschill) - F
ULA Ohm on 07/23/2010 08:20:28 MDT Print View

Sorry to thread crap.

Since we are talking about the Ohm, can someone answer this question?

On ULA's website under the Ohm they mention this "Combining a 1.2 oz carbon fiber/delrin active suspension hoop"

Does anyone know exactly what that is? I've been trying to figure it out.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
OHM on 07/23/2010 09:29:44 MDT Print View

Hi - it's a hoop shaped like an upside down 'U' where the pointed ends sit at the base of the hipbelt and the bottom of the 'U' (curved part) sits between your shoulders. Think vertical stays but attached by the curve at the top.

Andy Schill
(Aschill) - F
Ohm on 07/23/2010 09:36:34 MDT Print View

Gotcha, thanks!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: OHM on 07/23/2010 12:09:24 MDT Print View

Its called 'active' because the hoop moves side-to-side with your movements. Think: slinky-ish

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Ohm on 07/23/2010 12:42:34 MDT Print View

The curved top of the the 'U' is the 'delrin' piece and then the straight sides are carbon fibre. So the delrin piece is the flexy part and the carbon is total rigid.

FWIW, my Ohm frame (medium) weighs. 1.66oz.