Forum Index » Photography » Video ? this is the one...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Video ? this is the one... on 07/13/2010 23:36:59 MDT Print View

Sony NEX VG10
I want one of these...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6KYlHsXxk
Franco

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
nice on 07/14/2010 08:11:28 MDT Print View

that looks pretty sweet, although by gaining a better form factor for video you are losing the form factor for photography, I still prefer my GH1.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Video ? this is the one... on 07/14/2010 12:25:56 MDT Print View

Within the last year there have been some excellent DSLR cameras for still photography that have Full HD video capability. These are significantly lighter than the Sony product, although the form factor is weird for video.

What is it that the Sony product offers that you don't get in one of the new DSLR cameras?

--B.G.--

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Video ? this is the one... on 07/14/2010 15:28:07 MDT Print View

Based on the available specs, one can probably start with the 1M dot hooded EVF, fulltime auto-iris, realtime auto-focus and image stabilization, the sophisticated sound synching and modes, etc.

By the time you rig a dslr up with all the equivalents you've got a pretty gigantic thing. Of course all this presupposes the shooter is after broadcast quality, which is a pretty small fragment of folks shooting video, but it's at least a semipro vid camera that masquerades as a legit still camera.

I suspect Sony's rushing to counter the Panasonic 4/3 equivalent:

http://mirror.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/AG-AF100.pdf

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by halfturbo on 07/14/2010 15:29:37 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Video ? this is the one... on 07/14/2010 16:09:43 MDT Print View

From what I can tell, the 1M dot display is about 920,000 or 921,000, which is the same as on a DSLR. The fulltime auto-iris sounds like something in a camcorder equivalent to auto-exposure in a DSLR. Realtime auto-focus is tough in the DSLR. Image stabilization is a standard feature on many DSLR lenses now.

The sophisticated sound synching and modes would be different, and this is the area where a DSLR would have stuff hung on externally. Of course, stereo microphones aren't big.

I wonder when the Sony product will be on the market.

--B.G.--

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Video ? this is the one... on 07/14/2010 17:47:49 MDT Print View

I just got the press release yesterday , kind of verbose but the point rammed home (in the Aussie release) is that it is the Handycam 25th annyversary camcorder.
The US version of the Press Release is here :
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/sony-issues-nex-vg10-first-interchangeable-lens-hd-camcorder/
(click on link below the article)
Due here in September , no price was mentioned in the Australian version . ($2000 in the US )
What is the difference ?
First ergonomics.
DSLRs are designed to take still pictures, not moving pictures.
Capture time . 4 hours (continuous capture) with a 32gb card. 6 hours of power from the optional FP100 battery. About 2.5 hours from the standard battery.
I did not see any evidence of "rolling shutter" in the publicity video (but you wouldn't, would you ?) so maybe this is another advantage.
Immage stabilisation. I obviously not have tested this one yet, but from past experience, the Sony version of Optical Stabilisation is better than most if not the very best.
Essentially this is a "large format" HD camcorder that can take stills, the existing DSLRs are still cameras that can take HD footage.
Franco
I have just "lifted" this shot from :
http://www.camcorderinfo.com
to give a better idea of what it looks like.
Sony NEX VG10

Edited by Franco on 07/14/2010 18:21:56 MDT.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re:Video ? this is the one... on 07/14/2010 18:14:39 MDT Print View

Right, resolutionwise, but an EVF's usefulness is vastly better than a flat LCD panel for video, even an articulated one. As to lens enhancements for video, they're very important and the vast dslr lens catalogue (from virtually every maker) doesn't offer them.

Here's a summary of the panny 14-140 for ยต4/3.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030314panasonic14-140mmhd.asp

Again, this stuff is for videophiles and doesn't mean much to the hiking hobbiest, but at least the serious folks can avoid lugging one of these ;-)

http://www.gearlog.com/2010/05/house_finale_shot_on_a_dslr.php

Cheers,

Rick

Added: Sample NEX-VG10 video from Sony.

http://vimeo.com/13344064

Edited by halfturbo on 07/15/2010 12:49:20 MDT.

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

dslr on 07/15/2010 06:51:45 MDT Print View

I had a Canon 7d and sold it recently for the GH1 and it is so much easier for video, although the photographs are not as good.

You don't need a rig like that to shoot on the GH1 due to the ability to use the viewfinder and the lens image stabilization. The footage looks as if it were shot on a shoulder rig, very steady.

It looks much better than handheld camcorder footage.

Pressing the camera against your head with the viewfinder is very effective for controlling shakes, and anything left over is taken care of with the image stabilization.

Professionals using rigs like that are likely shooting for long periods of time and need the extra comfort. The canon users also need to manually focus and that requires more camera support. In addition, they are mostly shooting with prime lenses without stabilization.

It is great that there are so many options now with all of these new products coming out, there is something for everyone. I wish I could afford to have a variety of different cameras.

Edited by michaeltn2 on 07/15/2010 10:12:38 MDT.

Michael Neal
(michaeltn2) - F

lenses on 07/15/2010 10:16:26 MDT Print View

What is also cool with these exchangeable lens camcorders is that you could buy a camera and a camcorder and share the lenses between them. It is only a matter of time before there are affordable m4/3 camcorders that I can use with my Panasonic lenses.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Video ? this is the one... on 07/15/2010 17:59:20 MDT Print View

Bob
For you , considering that you mostly do stills and (if I understand correctly...) the video would be for wildlife, your Canon rig will probably do a better job.
Having dealt with pro photographer from both the Canon and Nikon camp (as well as the fewer from other brands...) I do understand the importance of familiarity and being at ease with a particular brand.
My likes and wants (I have no "needs" here) are different, so I am looking at it from a different perspective.
To really have a better opinion (I am just ,like everybody else, speculating at the moment) I need to have the camera in my hands and shoot something.
I was a bit puzzled by the colours in that Sony clip, but it is a you tube clip after all.
The rolling shutter bit is still to be determined, balance and ergonomics "look" better than with most/all DSLR rigs, editing (ease of, as well as transcoding) will be a major part of how it could work for me.
I have a basic understanding on how to use Premiere, have Vegas installed ( does not crash but can't be bothered to learn it) but use Pinnacle Studio, something that Koko the gorilla could master.
( I haven't yet, but can do some of it)
You would be amused to know that yesterday my Canon video camera took a tumble (on the carpet of my lounge room) when a leg on my toy tripod collapsed. Stupid twist lock thingo ( user error, after 30 years of selling tripods I should know better)
The camera is OK.
Franco

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Video ? this is the one... on 07/15/2010 20:40:52 MDT Print View

I'm still trying to get my brain around the video concept. My new Canon 7D is the first camera I've ever had with video capability and sound. Within the next two weeks, I expect to find out a few things the hard way with 150GB of memory ready.

--B.G.--