Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » backpacking trip suggetstions around bay area?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chuck Cheese
(defrag4) - F
backpacking trip suggetstions around bay area? on 07/11/2010 00:39:44 MDT Print View

Me and the gf are planning our first backpacking trip together next weekend. I have been eyeballing Kings Canyon/Sequoia for our trip. Im just learning about the reservation system they have (moved from FL where there was no real need for one) and now I am not sure if we will be able to get a backcountry permit for Paradise Valley which is where I was planning to hike.

I am going to call on Monday and see if tehre is still a chance, but if not I am hoping for a few suggestions, it will be a 2-night 3-day trip, hopefully in the sierras

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Locale: Southern California
length? on 07/11/2010 06:52:23 MDT Print View

Hi,

It's a little hard to know what to suggest without knowing info like how many miles you like to hike per day.

If you're having trouble getting a wilderness permit, usually the best solution is to look for an area that sees fewer people. For instance, in Yosemite, the hike from Yosemite Valley to Little Yosemite is extremely popular with people from the Bay Area, and getting a wilderness permit for that is difficult.

In some parks, a certain number of wilderness permits are available on a walk-in basis. If you end up resorting to that, your best bet is to be the first person in line when they open the office in the morning.

-Ben

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
paradise valley on 07/11/2010 07:22:11 MDT Print View

they do reserve some walk in permits for this hike
so you may be able to show up at the permit office on the day of your trip and score a walk in permit i think the office opens at 7 am so i would try to be first in line
to get one that is a great hike you would really dig it
if you could score a permit
good luck

kevin

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: backpacking trip suggetstions around bay area? on 07/11/2010 08:27:05 MDT Print View

There are many great trails to explore in the Wilderness Areas of the Sierras where it is relatively east to get permit and some do not have quotas. The Wilderenss Areas such as Desolation, Emigrant, Ansel Adams, Dinky Lakes are all examples that are less than or equal to drive it takes to get to Sequoia-Kings Canyon from the Bay. If you check the trips reports, you can get an idea of how great these areas are. I doubt there are many bad choices this time of year in the Sierras.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: backpacking trip suggetstions around bay area? on 07/11/2010 10:20:39 MDT Print View

I agree with Dave. If you are coming from The Bay Area, then you have some fantastic options where there are no quota system. Desolation, Emmigrant and some of the Natl. Forest areas along Hwy 4 will work. All of those areas are amazing. Kings Canyon is a 5 hours drive from The Bay Area and some of the places I just mentioned are actually closer. Heck, you can even go to Hoover Wilderness and find some fantastic hiking! Paradise Valley is a nice hike, but be forwarned, it can be hot, lots of bugs, and day hikers. It's what comes after Paradise Valley that makes this area awesome! Think Rae Lakes Loop. TBH, the scenery going up to Paradise Valley is not impressive

Dylan Snodgrass
(TrueNorth)

Locale: San Francisco, CA
backpacking trip suggetstions around bay area on 07/11/2010 10:55:31 MDT Print View

My wife and I just got back from a short trip in the Sierra, check out the trip report (link below). It might be what your looking for. Tuolumne Meadows is really nice and has WAY LESS crowds than the valley.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=34724

sean mccutcheon
(aldosean93)

Locale: East Bay
Backpacking California / Camping & Backpacking the SF Bay Area on 07/15/2010 21:48:40 MDT Print View

James,
Here are two great books for anyone new to the Bay Area that is interested in backpacking. Camping & Backpacking the San Fancisco Bay Area by Matt Heid. This book has every trip in the bay from Healdburg to Santa Cruz. The other book is the best book out there, it has anything from one night to two weeks, it is Backpacking California by Wilderness Press. This book is a compilation of 16 authors and 71 trips all up and down California.