DIY protein bars? vegetarian, no-cook protein?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Locale: Southern California
DIY protein bars? vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/09/2010 21:53:34 MDT Print View

I'm mostly vegetarian (do eat meat now and then), and I prefer to go no-cook when hiking. Until recently, I'd been taking food that was heavy on nuts and cheese. This had the advantage of high energy density, but didn't supply the right balance of carbs, protein, and fat. I've just shipped my two resupply packages for the JMT, holding myself to proportions of 50-35-15 carb-fat-protein. To get enough protein, I had to include quite a bit of jerky and those foil packages of salmon. That means going non-veg, and those foods also have poor energy density.

I've been websurfing to try to see what vegetarian athletes normally do for their protein requirements, which can be quite a bit higher than for a sedentary person (roughly 400 cal/day rather than 200). Cheese, beans, and tofu seem to be the best sources. I do bring hard cheese, but most of its calories are from fat, and that makes it hard to keep the right percentage of calories from carbs. Beans and tofu don't seem possible since I don't bring a stove.

Some people buy packaged protein bars. Those would be pretty convenient, although I suspect they'd be expensive as well. Googling turns up a lot of recipes for DIY protein bars, but I don't know how well they'd keep. Typical recipes seem to be oats, peanut butter, skim milk, and protein powder.

Anyone have any thoughts to share? Recipes for non-perishable protein bars? Would substituting ghee for milk help to keep them from spoiling?

Although I've already sent my resupply packages, I still have until Monday to get together my food for the initial section of my hike.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: DIY protein bars? vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/09/2010 22:07:29 MDT Print View

I've listed the recipe for Logan Bread here. Search for "logan bread" and I think you will see my initials pop up quickly. I've been making the stuff for over thirty years now, and it does not have a spoilage problem.

--B.G.--

Joe Cangelosi
(JoeFish) - F

Locale: All Over California
Logan Bread on 07/09/2010 22:17:10 MDT Print View

From my Bookmarks, thanks Bob.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=29797&skip_to_post=250686#250686

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Re: Re: DIY protein bars? vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/10/2010 06:39:27 MDT Print View

Hi, Bob and Joe -- Thanks for the recipe. It doesn't look particularly high in protein, though.

-Ben

Zachary Zrull
(zackcentury) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
go raw! on 07/10/2010 07:40:10 MDT Print View

Hello, I'm also interested in eating raw and such while on the trail. I came across this site, WaiTalk, that has an interested discussion of protein requirements, and that most of it can be met by consuming fruit, brazil nuts, and optionally a small amount of animal food. While on the trail, a handful-and-a-half of brazil nuts per day could probably replace the animal food, assuming you are eating a variety of foods.

Another site that might be useful is youbars.com. The ingredients in these bars are only what you choose, so you might be able to reverse engineer the bars to make something similar. They also have a nutrition calculator.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: DIY protein bars? vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/10/2010 10:42:14 MDT Print View

You mention beans - you know that precooked and dehydrated lentils rehydrate with cool water? They are quite good with a little "dressing" and some other veggies - such as tomatoes and shallots (all dried as well).

You can also get tofu in shelf stable packs in many stores.

As for bars....those protein bars sold are gut rotters - they sit in your stomach for a long time. YMMV of course!

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Re: Re: DIY protein bars? vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/10/2010 11:21:12 MDT Print View

Sarah wrote: "you know that precooked and dehydrated lentils rehydrate with cool water?"
Aha! No, I didn't know that! Thanks!

I found this online: http://www.packitgourmet.com/Lentils-p193.html

Unfortunately it's too late for me to order by mail for this trip. Next year I will definitely start using them. They're about the same as cheese in terms of protein per unit weight, without ramping up the calories from fat as much as cheese does. They also have better energy density than jerky.

"You can also get tofu in shelf stable packs in many stores."
Interesting -- is it practical as a backpacking food, or is there too much water in it?

Edited by bcrowell on 07/10/2010 11:39:56 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/10/2010 15:00:42 MDT Print View

On the lentils....you can also drain canned ones and dry them - works well.
I have a bunch of recipes on the website for using them :-) Including one with couscous for more protein and carbs.

On the tofu - it is aseptically packed so is a perfect cube. No draining needed - it is a silken style tofu. It isn't light but it is compact! And tasty as well.......
http://www.morinu.com/product/tofu.html

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Re: Re: vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/10/2010 15:46:55 MDT Print View

"On the lentils....you can also drain canned ones and dry them - works well."
Does this require buying a dehydrator?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: Re: vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/10/2010 19:20:13 MDT Print View

Heck no! Just put them on a cookie tray and dry them in your oven on the lowest setting. Check every hour and stir once they start getting dryer. Easy!

All canned beans can be dried as well!

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/10/2010 19:41:52 MDT Print View

@Sarah: Cool! It's really that easy!? Who knew? :-)

I'll definitely give it a shot.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: vegetarian, no-cook protein? on 07/10/2010 21:30:09 MDT Print View

I have a "basic" section also on drying :-)

http://www.trailcooking.com/dehydrating101

-And yep, anything you want to dry in a dehydrator you can do in your oven. If yours has a convection setting more so the bonus - the fan helps move the air faster. If the food is very wet you can line the trays with parchment paper and prop the door open with a wooden spoon to help the moisture dry out.

Hamilton Shields
(hamilton) - F

Locale: Japan
MYo Protein Bars on 07/10/2010 21:42:05 MDT Print View

I'm looking at a similar problem for my next trip and I think I'm going to make my own energy bars supplemented with whey-protein. There are loads of recipes around the nets, you can choose what to include, they are easy and they keep.

I'll post back here after I try a couple of recipes this evening. And I think I'll probably give a batch of that logan bread a shot as well.

Edit: Here'S a good basic list with calorie/protein/carb info http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=346329

Edited by hamilton on 07/10/2010 21:48:15 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
DIY protein bars on 07/11/2010 16:18:48 MDT Print View

@ Hamilton. Feedback on how this goes would be great thanks.

Jim Pfeiffenberger
(akpfeiff) - F
Homemade protein bars on 07/30/2010 16:36:31 MDT Print View

Here's what I make--not sure if fits your needs or not:

INREDIENTS:
Raw Almonds
Protein Powder
Honey (substitute maple syrup if honey's too sweet for you!)
Almond butter
Vanilla

Chop whole, raw almonds in blender until is almost like powder.

Heat honey, almond butter, and shot of vanilla over low heat until smooth (experiment with amounts)

Mix powdered almond and protein powder with honey/butter/vanilla until you get a stiff, relatively dry mass thant cannot be stirred--so thick is has to be mixed by hand.
Cover cookie sheets or cassorle pans with plastic wrap and flatten the mix into/onto sheets about 1/2 inch thick. Put in fridge to harden, then cut into bars.

I generally store these in the fridge long term, but they travel well without refigeration for days at a time. Yummy, hi-energy, and way cheaper than store-bought bars.

Sometimes I skip the protein powder, but you asked about high-protein!

Edited by akpfeiff on 07/30/2010 16:38:43 MDT.

Michael Cockrell
(CAL-EE-FOR-NIA) - F

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA
homemade protein bars ingredients on 08/02/2010 15:46:34 MDT Print View

What is the quantity of each ingredient in your homemade protein bar listed?

Jim Pfeiffenberger
(akpfeiff) - F
Quantities? on 08/04/2010 14:48:47 MDT Print View

I couldn't tell you exact or even ballpark quatities--sorry, I'm not very scientific in the kitchen. I simply mixed the powders with liquids until I had a barely kneadable dough, then spread it in the pan. I suppose roughly I would say that almond powder to protein powder was about 4:1 and honey to almond butter was probably 3:1. Sometimes I leave out the protein powder altogether, and you could probably make this without the almond butter, too, just using honey with a splash of vanilla as the glue...

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Soy protein on 08/04/2010 19:03:47 MDT Print View

I have been reading some info on the Hammer Nutrition website recently and they recommend soy protein for pre and during exercise use and whey for post exercise use.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"DIY protein bars? vegetarian, no-cook protein?" on 08/04/2010 19:31:55 MDT Print View

My young sister has successfully replicated the Hammer Nutrition bars, which are delicious. No cook, soy based, vegetarian, and delicious. It took her several attempts but she has the consistency, ingredients and proportions down to a T, they're almost indecipherable from the real thing. I'll have to get the recipe on paper unless it's ingrained in her memory, I'm sure I can extract the idea from her dreams...sorry, I still can't shake that movie Inception.

I find that soy protein sits better in my gut pre-run, during, and post run.