Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » a great way to save a pound!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dont Wantto
(longhiker) - F
a great way to save a pound! on 07/09/2010 20:53:40 MDT Print View

even the SUL hikers on this forum can save a pound or so if someone can figure out a stable isotope of oxygen with fewer neutrons than the usual O-16.

Think like heavy water with deuterium but only this could be called light water. It'd chemically be identical to regular water.

But it could weigh 10 - 15% less since you've removed many of the useless neutrons which play no role in biology or chemistry anyway.

How can anyone here call themselves a minimalist or ultralighter if they continue to lug inert deadweight neutrons up and down mountains after reading this?

once you've lightened water, you've just started.. aluminum and other materials have an even higher % of useless neutrons than oxygen.

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
a great way to save a pound! on 07/09/2010 22:27:34 MDT Print View

This is a pretty radical idea. There's probable at least a Nobel prize in physics in it if someone can come up with a way to do it (and it doesn't have severe biological consequences!)

Dont Wantto
(longhiker) - F
prize for idea or for work? on 07/10/2010 09:33:58 MDT Print View

i think the prize should be for the idea, not the work of actually making a stable light isotope of oxygen.

anyone can do something once it is suggested..

I'm bookmarking this page.

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
Filter on 07/14/2010 09:43:38 MDT Print View

I think my MSR mini works filters out useless sub-atomic particles. I'll have to read the specifications again.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Dehydatred Water on 07/14/2010 10:58:00 MDT Print View

I'm still trying to perfect my process to make dehyrated water. I think there would be a HUGE market for this especially for those hiking in desert areas. Just think, no more lugging around multiple lbs. of water. And several gallons of hydrated water would fit into a 1L bottle so size is excellent also.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Dehydrated Water on 07/14/2010 12:14:05 MDT Print View

I go one step farther: Instant hot water.

This would be in a typical Mountain House foil package. Simply add water to it and heat it.

--B.G.--

Gary Shular
(OldeGoat) - F

Locale: Montana
Re: a great way to save a pound! on 07/14/2010 13:17:44 MDT Print View

FYI

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/

belive it or not heh.