removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Locale: Southern California
removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 18:40:03 MDT Print View

You folks are doing a great job on this site! Keep up the good work!

I would suggest removing p-o-o-p from the profanity filter. Sometimes we need to discuss it, and it's not exactly the most offensive word :-)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 18:44:45 MDT Print View

"I would suggest removing p-o-o-p from the profanity filter. Sometimes we need to discuss it, and it's not exactly the most offensive word :-)"

Just capitalize it. The profanity filter, in all its inanity, doesn't recognize capitals! Crazy Poop, eh?

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 18:46:21 MDT Print View

Wow, you found a loophole, awesome. Pure awesome Crap. I wonder if it works for all words...lol

Edited by Antig on 07/08/2010 18:46:51 MDT.

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Re: Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 18:49:07 MDT Print View

"Just capitalize it. The profanity filter, in all its inanity, doesn't recognize capitals! Crazy Poop, eh?"
Yeah, but I don't want to look illiterate in order to satisfy a computer.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 19:02:31 MDT Print View

"Yeah, but I don't want to look illiterate in order to satisfy a computer."

and p-o-o-p is.........? ;-)

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 19:03:43 MDT Print View

nice

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 19:05:42 MDT Print View

"and p-o-o-p is.........? ;-)"

...an example where I was forced to look illiterate in order to satisfy a computer.

No, wait, actually I think it's an example where I was forced to look like a prissy old Victorian lady in order to satisfy a computer.

I recently read a historical account of one of the first ascents of Mt. Shasta, ca. 1850. When they get to the description of glissading, they refer to it as sliding on their "unmentionables."

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 19:13:27 MDT Print View

" they refer to it as sliding on their "unmentionables.""

Heck, I was listening to a story on the radio today and some woman referred to her underwear as her unmentionables. As for me, I mention my unmentionables on this forum all the time. I think it kinda creeps some people out......

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 20:22:15 MDT Print View

I think it kinda creeps some people out......

Not as weird as Smearing Poop across a rock in the desert southwest as the preferred alternative to cat-holes to speed the decomposition process.

That one just takes the Cat's ( self -filtered on second thought )

Edited by obxcola on 07/08/2010 20:23:31 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 20:30:44 MDT Print View

"Not as weird as Smearing Poop across a rock in the desert southwest as the preferred alternative to cat-holes to speed the decomposition process."

Oh, Doug can get much weirder than that. ;))

Ben Crowell
(bcrowell) - F

Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/08/2010 21:45:43 MDT Print View

"Not as weird as Smearing Poop across a rock in the desert southwest as the preferred alternative to cat-holes to speed the decomposition process."
Knew about this in tundra and glaciers, didn't know it was used in the desert as well.

Of course the optimal technique is to accomplish this without having to use your hands. Have you ever seen a dog with an itchy butt drag its hindquarters across someone's rug? The method for humans is very similar. You can find instructional videos if you search on youtube. Some people find it difficult to master the solo technique, so it can help to have your hiking partners grab your ankles and drag.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/09/2010 08:47:21 MDT Print View

GREAT, edifying thread!!! WIth Doug at the helm, who can go wrong? At least now I've learned that we can all have a Damn Gay old time on our Fannies!

Knew about this in tundra and glaciers, didn't know it was used in the desert as well.

Just glad that the method isn't quite as popular on those knife-edge ridges!

Really, having "Gay" on the profanity filter is surely offensive to some people, no?

Edited by butuki on 07/09/2010 08:49:37 MDT.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/09/2010 11:34:56 MDT Print View

Even more than Poop, I'm amused that on this forum, we women are allowed to have one breast but not two of them!

Edited by hikinggranny on 07/09/2010 11:35:39 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter on 07/09/2010 11:40:32 MDT Print View

Mary, you got me thinking..... testicle?

Edit: Yup. Us guys are only allowed one testicle.

Nutsack. gotta capitalize it.

So here's a question: were these banned words handpicked by BPL staff, or is it simply part of a more generic filter that is used?

Edited by T.L. on 07/09/2010 11:45:57 MDT.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
Re:, Re: "removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter" on 07/09/2010 12:21:30 MDT Print View

Imagine that,
A Poop thread and Doug is all over it!! ;)

Edited by djjmikie on 07/09/2010 12:22:06 MDT.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: "removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter" on 07/09/2010 12:26:59 MDT Print View

Michael, we ought to be careful. Things get ugly when Doug is encouraged too much!

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
Re: "removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter" on 07/09/2010 12:32:47 MDT Print View

Miguel,

Doug IS the lite in backpackinglight

Edited by djjmikie on 07/09/2010 12:34:05 MDT.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re :"removing p-o-o-p from profanity filter" on 07/09/2010 12:47:31 MDT Print View

I didn't even know there was a filter!
I'm so tempted to try a few Scots expletives, to see if they are recognised! :)

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Profanity test on 07/09/2010 12:49:49 MDT Print View

Shite.
Scots version of Shit. :)

Shite was ok, but S.hI.t wasn't. :)

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Very funny on 07/09/2010 12:51:44 MDT Print View

How childish! I've never heard of a profanity filter before. Is the written word so scary?