November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
% calories from fat
Display Avatars Sort By:
Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
% calories from fat on 07/07/2010 16:24:48 MDT Print View

I’m sure this is common knowledge to many of you, and maybe American food labels take care of this, but around here I fond a LOT of highly educated folks who don’t understand how to work out percentage of calories in a food. Many will look at a package that says “97% fat-free”, and think that it’s very low fat. For those of you that also think that, I want to clarify how to work out true percentage of calories.

I’ll start with a very simple example. If you took 3 grams of olive oil and dissolved it in 100mls of water, it would be “97% fat-free”. However, this hides the fact that 100% of the drink’s calories come from fat. If you sipped on this through the day and drank a litre of this weird drink, you would be consuming 30 grams of fat from this 97% fat-free drink.

Now take this “Healthy Choice” meal I have in front of me. It also claims to be 97% fat-free. That’s because the meal weighs 400 grams, but has only 10.4 grams of fat. Now, 10.4 grams of fat is not bad, but it’s not just 3% of the calories. A gram of fat has 9 calories, so 9 x 10.4 grams equals 94 calories. The total calories in the meal are 400, so in fact this meal is almost 25% of calories from fat. I hope you are all savvy label readers and can work this out when shopping, but I know a lot will still just trust the label and think this is a very low fat meal. Eat smart!