Lyme Disease: Challenging Old Stereotypes
Display Avatars Sort By:
(jsj42) - F
Crabs... on 05/02/2011 00:39:11 MDT Print View

Crabs are not arachnids. They are crustaceans.

Not to confuse matters, but the other "crabs" are actually insects.

Edited by jsj42 on 05/02/2011 00:43:45 MDT.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Human Lyme vaccine on 05/02/2011 09:45:51 MDT Print View

If I remember correctly, there was some concern that the vaccine could cause the disease. Of course, if someone developed the disease after getting the vaccine, there would be no way to prove whether the person had been exposed before being vaccinated, or the vaccine was ineffective at preventing infection from post-vaccination exposure, or the disease was actually caused by the vaccine. This uncertainty would be no protection against a multi-million dollar jury award. So it's not just a question as to whether enough money could be made off marketing the vaccine (which I think would be substantial), but how much money the manufacturer could stand to lose.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Deer tick bite; Permethrin advice on 07/06/2013 20:10:15 MDT Print View

Just pulled out the first embedded deer tick that ever managed to latch onto me, which is amazing considering where I've hiked before in the NE. Was a large adult female, so pretty easy to spot, plus I could actually feel the bite, which felt like a scrape from a branch. There was actually a small red ring around the area where the tick was embedded. I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't on me for more than 1-19 hours (depending on whether it hitched a ride during yesterday evening's hike or this morning's).

Pulled it straight out alive and bagged it in a zip lock and will have it tested this week (many agencies do free testing). Strong little bugger - took an impressive amount of steady force to get it out.

No doc to ask until Monday, but According to the article and comments above, chance of infection is lower with an adult than with a nymph, and chance of infection in N California is low outside of Mendocino, Humbolt and Trinity (hope the study authors are correct).

Even with the excellent article here there is so much information out there that isn't well understood. Doing what you can for prevention seems best.

I will definitely pay more attention to prevention, first by spraying clothing, socks and hats with permethrin.

Anyone know:

1) How long permethrin lasts on clothes?

2) Once it's dry is it set? Does it benefit from a roll in the dryer on low heat?

3) I'm pretty sure it wouldn't, but anyone know if it would survive a wash with DWR-safe vegetable-based washes? Likely need to retreat after every wash.

4) Are pre-treated permethrin clothes and hats worth it? Seems like an excuse to charge a lot of extra money. Would love to know how they embed permethrin in clothing so that it survives washes.

5) Do you spray your shoes, socks, inflatable mats, tents and sleeping bags?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Ticks on 07/06/2013 21:15:50 MDT Print View

Two months ago I had yet another embedded tick, this time on my back. It was tiny and the whole area was painful. It tested positive (took 2 weeks!!) but I was already on major antibiotics since I did not know how long it had been in me and since it was the kind known to possibly carry the virus. The whole thing really sucked, pun intended. I had a reaction to the antibiotics and now I need to go back to get tested, just in case :(

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
tick on 07/06/2013 21:32:53 MDT Print View

On a hike in May, my son had a tick crawling on his face within 10 min of starting on trail.

His clothing from the shoes up were treated with permethrin, so was his hat. we also wear compression shorts to exclude them from the harder to check areas.

Did not contact any brush or branches.

We picked ticks off our legs all day long. None had chance to attach. Every 15 min stop and look at legs, flick off ticks.

No explanation for how the tick got on his face. Its very doubtful it could have climbed up his clothing in that time, especially permethrin treated clothing.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: tick on 07/10/2013 07:15:49 MDT Print View

That is curious. I know for a fact they drop from trees, but it would still take a while to go from hat to his face. Maybe dropped on his shoulder?

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Some more tick info on 07/12/2013 22:57:17 MDT Print View

Kat hope you are feeling better both from the bite and the antibiotics. That is really no fun. The nymphs are so small, I really don't know how you could ever find them, especially on hard to see areas, without feeling pain or seeing a rash. You are especially never going to see those little dots in places like your arm pits, private parts, etc.

By the way, the county health office that tests the tick for $15 said that Santa Cruz ticks tested positive for Lyme at the highest rates in the SF Bay Area, which really sucks, as the SC area has some fantastic trails. They test once a week on Tuesday mornings and you get a call back that afternoon if the tick tests positive.

I should mention that the county health office only tests for Lyme, not several other co-infectious illnesses. If you have the tick tested at a local private lab, they charge a whopping $65 for Lyme, and then for each of these co-infections:

Please test the tick by PCR for:
____ Test 140 Lyme Disease (B. burgdorferi) $65.00
____ Test 689 Babesiosis (B microti and/or B duncani) $65.00
____ Test 148 Ehrlichiosis (Ehrlichia) $65.00
____ Test 290 Bartonella henselae $65.00
____ Test 975 Rickettsia $65.00

Since spotting nymphs is so difficult, I'd like to find out the best permethrin info.

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
New way to test for Lyme may be out soon on 07/18/2013 14:33:50 MDT Print View

It looks like a simple urine test may become a way to detect Lyme disease:

http://www.wtop.com/41/2842963/Easier-way-to-detect-Lyme-disease-may-be-on-horizon

I sure hope this pans out. Both my wife and daughter have had to do antibiotics because the ticks we pulled off them carried Borrelia whatever it is...