Trailrunners on Wonderland?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nate Lee
(nathan52) - MLife
Trailrunners on Wonderland? on 07/02/2010 12:39:51 MDT Print View

Hi,

Considering sporting some trailrunners on the Wonderland Trail this August. I have no experience with the trail condition here and am stuck deciding if trailrunners are appropriate.

Yes, several reporters here said they did it with trailrunners.

They did it in 5-6 days and did 93 miles or so.

I'm doing it in 9 days including the Northern Loop, (clockwise we miss mystic lake to berkeley). This added length and duration might be a factor.

Really though, I'd like to know what the trail is like. I'm used to the Adirondacks, and it's trail conditions i'd equate to either strewn basketballs or muddy bog.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Trailrunners on Wonderland on 07/02/2010 14:06:09 MDT Print View

We did the Wonderland Trail in low-cut lightweight hiking shoes a few years ago in Aug (Merrell Mesa Ventilator II, called something else now). At the time they were pretty lightweight, perhaps not any more.

Anyway, if you are used to the Adirondacks then the Wonderland Trail should be a piece of cake. Before the floods it had well-graded wide trails, not particularly steep or rocky, no boulder hopping or slab climbing, nothing like the steep muddy/rocky bushwhacks of the Adirondacks. I imagine it's pretty much the same again.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Trailrunners on Wonderland? on 07/02/2010 14:42:09 MDT Print View

Totally doable. In August it is nice for the hot days. Almost all of Rainier's creeks and rivers are bridged and much is on soft dirt duff. While there is some snow crossing by August it is well defined and not hard to do.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Trailrunners on Wonderland? on 07/02/2010 17:20:08 MDT Print View

no prob at all.
that trail is a highway

Nate Lee
(nathan52) - MLife
thx on 07/02/2010 20:28:44 MDT Print View

thanks for the insight.

I appreciate it.

I'm excited to give the trailrunners the starting job here.