Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
First Look: Osprey Hornet 46
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
any more thoughts from reviwers? on 10/11/2010 16:31:18 MDT Print View

last reviewer's comment was dated July- any of the testers have any more feedback?

has anyone received info from Osprey on possible revisions to the prototypes?

thanks

Mike

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Demise of talon pack on 10/17/2010 10:11:26 MDT Print View

I have noticed the Talon series of packs are on Sale at REI and other store at close out prices. I think the hornet series will replace the Talon series of packs wether Osprey wants it or not.
It seems the buyers of the major backpacking stores are getting ready to replace the talon.
I am kind glad because just a matter of looks the Hornet looks like a better color combination. Because a the normal consumer did not purchase the talon when the were looking at it seen the whitish,gray color trim of talon and how dirty it would get. Plus the hornet is cleaner more well thought out shape on looks alone.To the non educated backpacker they will buy this over the talon series.
Now us on technology involved in the design will like the new features and weight alone of the pack for nice weekender or longer pack.

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/17/2010 10:34:00 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Hornet 46 on 10/17/2010 10:39:55 MDT Print View

Tell me how this pack will replace my Talon 22 multi-sport pack?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
quick take on 10/17/2010 10:46:46 MDT Print View

I read a very detailed review of the pack on this site, and I could not add much to it, other than I really like the pack all and all. It fits me better ( I am 5'2" and 108 lbs) than any pack I have or had, and I wore it very comfortably for an 18 mile and a 23 mile trip, carrying around 19 lbs.
As far as improvements, I agree that the back pad is best removed and replaced and that if you remove the lid the straps just stay and hang on the pack, which is a bit of a nuisance.
I did not use my usual Platy with hose, but I could easily reach in side pocket to grab my water and almost as easily ( two hands for this) put it back, while continuing to walk.
I found the pack plenty big to hold enough gear/ food for several days. The hip belt and straps were comfortable as were the shoulder straps.
The color, Red, departs a bit from my usual earth tones, but I can live with that.
A great little pack for me. Thanks.

Edited by Kat_P on 10/17/2010 10:55:05 MDT.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Re: Hornet 46 on 10/17/2010 20:22:07 MDT Print View

Osprey will have this pack in 24,36 42 or the tester say 47 liter pack in the Hornet series.So this is how your talon 22 will be replaced.

I know is clearance sale prices say to me their will be a upgrade or elimination of pack. Last year in the fall REI and sport chalet had the Stratos series of packs at very steep clearance price markdowns to make room for the new Stratos series of packs. At one point sport chalet you could pick up the Stratos 40 for $79.00.
Here's a link to the new Hornet series pack direct from Osprey blog spot.

http://mediaspot.ospreypacks.com/internet-press-hits/inside-outoor-featuring-ospreys-hornet-series-packs-summer-2010/

Hopefully the talon series will not be discontinued I own a talon 22 and 44 My only gripe was the white /grey trim and bottom sure got dirty fast. But it look like major retail buyers are getting ready to drop
the series.

Edited by socal-nomad on 10/17/2010 20:23:10 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

available in January on 10/28/2010 08:39:59 MDT Print View

get an email back from Osprey, the expect the Hornets to be available sometime in January

if any more of the testers have comments, would certainly like to hear :)

Mike

T kawa
(kitsune) - F
material on 10/28/2010 14:30:38 MDT Print View

sorry if this was answered already, but does anyone know what material it's made out of?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

on their site on 01/03/2011 07:43:43 MST Print View

now on their site

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/HornetSeriesActiveLightPursuitsSuperlight/

any testers care to comment if any changes were made?

thanks

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
any difference on 01/03/2011 09:53:23 MST Print View

I sent my beta pack back and do not have a production model to compare but it does not look like any changes were made from mine. (I got mine a couple months after the BPL gang.)

I wonder about the sizing. Mine said 46 but was more like a 40 and it weighed 1 lb 8.8 oz which is what they have on the site for Lg.

I doubt it is going to replace the Talon series as the Talons are more adjustable and more comfortable.

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
it's up! on 01/16/2011 03:19:19 MST Print View

online vendors have the hornet available for purchase, though I don't think they'll get shipped for another week or two because most have a backordered or "ships later" tag of some sort. REI, Prolitegear, Moosejaw, and Gearzone seem to all have one or another of the sizes.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: it's up! on 01/16/2011 06:44:51 MST Print View

Edited by annapurna on 03/23/2011 16:11:54 MDT.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Video on 02/05/2011 16:07:41 MST Print View

I did a video of the Osprey Hornet 32, the small brother of the here discusses pack.

Difference between the Prototype and the commercial ones is that the side pockets are now angular and no longer the full length of the pack. Other than that, a good pack but still a lot of stuff which could be minimized/ is fiddly.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

video on 02/05/2011 16:34:27 MST Print View

thanks- that was helpful :)

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Side pockets on 02/05/2011 17:06:30 MST Print View

Nice job on the video, Hendrik. Osprey has a video on their web site, which shows the Hornet 46 pockets--they look full length, like our prototype packs. So perhaps the shorter pockets were placed on the smaller volume packs? I'm hoping that the Hornet 46 will show up in a local store sometime, so that I can compare the final version to my prototype and see what (if any) modifications they made. It certainly is an interesting pack.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Re: Side pockets on 02/07/2011 01:04:05 MST Print View

Thanks for pointing that out, Gary, seems to be indeed the case! Let us know if you find differences between your Prototype and the final version, would be good to see if there's some changes been made or if all your advice has been ignored =)

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Hornet Testers.... on 02/07/2011 14:49:41 MST Print View

what kind of weight range did your Hornet have? Specifically, does it have a lower range than the Exos of comparable sizes (if you have experience with both)? On the osprey site, they literally use the same graph to describe the recommended carrying limits of both backpacks, but it seems like the Exos should have a greater comfort range because of its frame.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Side pockets on 02/07/2011 15:03:34 MST Print View

I've received a production version 46 and (from memory) here are the differences I noticed:

* A collar extension of about 2.5 inches (accounting for the volume increase to the 46L spec). This is the significant change, and a welcome one.
* Different diecut scheme to the shoulder strap foam. Now, even holier.
* Replacement of the two plastic webbing anchors at the top of backpanel with webbing lash points.

All pockets are as before. Beyond the above, minor fabric color differences is about it. The prototype's shiraz red is now more of a nebbilio ;-)

Cheers,

Rick

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Hornet Testers... on 02/08/2011 21:29:04 MST Print View

Daniel,

I just got a Hornet 46 in the mail today, so I don't have much experience with the pack in the field. But, from a first look, as you would expect I think the Exos has a higher weight-carrying capacity than the Hornet. The Hornet has a pretty stiff, 1/2" thick foam back pad, as well as two vertical rods connected to the waist belt, so it carries better than your average frameless pack. But the Exos has much more vertical rigidity with the full steel hoop and mesh back panel. The Exos also has a more substantial waist belt with wider webbing and bigger wings.

From loading it up with water and walking around for a few hours, I would say the Hornet can comfortably carry 20 lbs and the limit would be about 25, whereas the Exos can comfortably carry 25 and the limit would be somewhere north of 30 lbs.

Andrew

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Re: Re: Hornet Testers... on 02/11/2011 13:46:54 MST Print View

Andrew,

Thank you very much for the info! very helpful.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

hornet on 02/23/2011 19:08:27 MST Print View

received mine today and like many of the previous posters noticed that the torso length on the M/L is not overly long (nor adj like the Talon series)

I'm 6' and torso of 20.5-21"- I'm clearly at the very end of the torso range, I can see why all the 6'+ guys were dissatisfied w/ the length, my old Exos 46 in large was longer

weight was within a tenth or two of advertised (actually came in under :))- I saw a few previous folks mention that is was an unframed pack w/ a stiff pad for suspension, there are actually two vertical delrin rods that run on the outside of the pad (maybe this wasn't on the proto pack????)

I like the top lid compartment and it's easily removable if unwanted, loading the main bag up all the way up however is somewhat problematic as the lid doesn't have any adjustment (like the exos had) to lengthen out.

I like the elastic stuff it pocket that most osprey packs come w/, I also like the numerous grosgrain loops so you can add your own shock cord if wanted. I also like the full length elastic side pockets- would be useful for longer items like tent poles, fishing pole, etc, but they also have a cutout in the middle so you can access a water bottle

hip belt pockets are a little smaller than were on the Exos, but still big enough to be useful

being looking forward to Spring to give it a go :)