Forum Index » GEAR » First Look: Osprey Hornet 46

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
member for life > member on 07/04/2010 20:46:11 MDT Print View

im a member, but not a member for life .... hmmmmmm

guess i need to get the BPL ML tattoooo ...

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
The biggest mlife perk on 07/04/2010 21:08:43 MDT Print View

You guys don't know what you're missing. The super secret MLife BPL store is fully stocked! Didn't y'all ever get suspicious about the shortages?
;). J/k of course.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Hornet 46 on 07/04/2010 21:36:38 MDT Print View

Are all of the test packs red? Anyone receive a different color?

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Same on 07/04/2010 21:40:15 MDT Print View

Red

Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: The biggest mlife perk on 07/04/2010 22:32:23 MDT Print View

You MUST be talking about the $150 merino wool hoody that you can poke a hole into with your thumb. Damn we are missing out.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
all snark aside on 07/05/2010 09:28:43 MDT Print View

Re, women's packs: I imagine that differences in design are far more relevant with heavy internal frames and the resulting big hipbelts, backpads, etc. Sewing nuances can only provide so much structure to frameless packs.

Re, canyoneering with the Hornet: Jen, you'll need much bigger grommets for draining. And if it's the same fabric used in the Talon series one slot will shred it.

The pack itself looks like a very nice amalgamation of the Talon and Exos series. The shoulder straps on the last generation of Talon 22/33 weren't thick enough to work for heavier loads, the Hornet looks like it fixes that with Exos straps while still keeping a lightly/unpadded hipbelt. Add the usual Osprey refinements (ex, highly functional hipbelt and side pockets) and you have a pack that might supplent that Talon 33 and 44, and the smaller Exos.

To the 10 chosen folks, please go beat the heck out of the packs. No usual BPL forum armchair reviews. Thoughts with less than 100 trail miles mean little.

Jennifer W
(tothetrail) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal.
Re: all snark aside? on 07/05/2010 11:48:07 MDT Print View

Much bigger grommets for draining?

Hmmmm, I've managed to get through 50+ canyons, including Kolob (exiting at the Temple of Sinawava) Heaps, and Imlay, with a pack with grommets only 1 millimeter larger than the ones on the Hornet--I won't be replacing them.

It's not the fabric I'm worried about. It's the elastic mesh that will shred, if I'm careless.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: all snark aside on 07/05/2010 12:58:37 MDT Print View

"Re, women's packs: I imagine that differences in design are far more relevant with heavy internal frames and the resulting big hipbelts, backpads, etc. Sewing nuances can only provide so much structure to frameless packs."

Exactly David! I guess I should have been more clear in my original posting. WIth packs like golite jam's and other frameless lightweight packs that are meant to carry ~25lbs (which appears to be the case with this new framless osprey hornet), I find the differences negligible between packs meant for different genders. In my experience, these types of packs have very soft waistbelt straps, where regardless of the the angle they are sewn, one can have a secure wrap-around fit by cinching down hard on the buckles.

If we were talking about packs meant to carry 40+lbs, with super stiff suspensions/belts, than yes, gender specific packs will have a noticeable difference in comfort

Edited by Konrad1013 on 07/05/2010 13:05:04 MDT.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
New Osprey on 07/05/2010 17:24:12 MDT Print View

Saw the references to some of the Osprey suspended mesh backband packs, but could not tell it this was one, of if the mesh is backed up by foam and/or a framesheet as in some other Ospreys.

Would appreciate knowing if this is a true suspended mesh backband pack. Thanks.
Sam

Jennifer W
(tothetrail) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal.
Re: New Osprey on 07/05/2010 17:39:55 MDT Print View

It's backed by foam.

It does not have the "AirSpeed" suspension and backpanel like the Atmos, Aura, Exos, Stratos, and Manta series packs.

It's more like the Talon with the "AirScape" backpanel with ridge molded foam.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

a digression on 07/05/2010 18:01:30 MDT Print View

Jen, if you had only one tiny grommet in your pack and no other holes or mesh in the bottom for the big three in Zion, and didn't have to invert your pack to drain water fast, you're privy to something I'm not. I generally find 2-4 3/8-1/2 inchers ideal.

My apologies if my above post came off as pedantic. This new pack is exciting, and comes closer than anything else off the shelf to having my preferred feature set. If I buy one, my grommet press will be one of the first things I reach for.

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Gender on 07/06/2010 08:51:09 MDT Print View

Women's packs from most manufacturers do have different hipbelts, as mentioned. They do also usually have narrower-set shoulder straps, and in general the shoulder straps are contoured differently and different in length. Women's packs also frequently come in shorter torso length. In terms of sizing on the Hornet, a S/M will fit ~<19 inches, a M/L for ~>19 inches, assuming they're sized as the Kestrels and Talons. The existing S/M fits many women pretty well in my experience, although it isn't great for particularly short torsos (say roughly 16 inches or under).

Mark Hume
(seattlesetters) - F

Locale: Pugetropolis
Fixed yoke? on 07/06/2010 10:44:22 MDT Print View

In looking through the thread, I don't believe anyone with the pack has confirmed if the yoke is fixed or adjustable via velcro like the Talon. With the sizing's naming convention (like the Kestrel/Talon), I'm hoping it adjusts like those models.

Please forgive me if someone has already clarified this info...thanks!

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

fixed on 07/06/2010 10:59:45 MDT Print View

fixed

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
OK to discuss, per Osprey on 07/06/2010 11:27:32 MDT Print View

I just received an e-mail from John Pieper of Osprey. He mentioned that we testers are free to discuss our impressions of the Hornet 46 on these forums. His quote: "Free speech is totally cool". He indicated that the feedback we give him, as well as other forum questions/comments, will be forwarded to the design team, and would be considered while making final changes prior to the Aug-Sept production.

He indicated that the prototype packs we received are roughly 42 L, as Ryan mentioned in his initial post. Osprey will size it up a bit for final production (to 46 L?). I expect that they'll offer various colors, and their usual 2 sizes (S/M and M/L) for the 46 L. pack. I don't know about other pack volume sizes.

Now, my initial impressions from just one outing (I'll work on that 100-mile minimum, Dave):

The pack is not framed, but has the removable foam pad. It also has two vertical frame rods secured in sleeves on either side of the pad sleeve. No top horizontal frame rod like the Talon.

A unique feature is the side mesh pocket design. They are 15" x 6", running along the whole side of the pack. There is an opening at the top, and also one half way down on the shoulder strap side. This allows a good deal of flexibility of what it can do. You can access your water bottles easily, or you can choose to use a pocket to store your tarp or some such piece of gear. There are two lightweight 3-point compression strap setups over each pocket, which will allow one to secure whatever is placed in the pockets. My camera isn't working, but maybe Roger or Jennifer could add a photo, showing the side of the pack, with the large mesh pocket and unique compression straps.

Another useful feature is a series of maybe 14 small loops of non-stretch cord sewn into the sides, top, and front of the pack, which allow you to configure all sorts of external lashing options (provide your own cord).

On last week's outing, I found that I missed having some sort of hip belt padding (there is none at all). And I have to disagree with Jennifer's feeling that the shoulder straps were 'heavenly.' I've never been a fan of Osprey's thin perforated padding there, and I suggested to them that they consider beefing it up a wee bit, if only at the shoulder point-of-contact, and for sure at the iliac crest.

But, all in all, I think they've come up with something here. With a few tweaks and a slightly larger volume (and a corresponding increase in weight), this pack has the potential to compete with the Jam 2.

Mark Hume
(seattlesetters) - F

Locale: Pugetropolis
Adjustable yoke! on 07/06/2010 11:31:42 MDT Print View

I know it may add a couple of oz....but I would LOVE to see the same adjustable yoke Opsrey uses on the Talon series on this pack.

It seems the Talon's two sizes (S/M and M/L) fit a very wide variety of body types rather well. I think it could help make this pack accessible to more people.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

details on 07/06/2010 12:26:19 MDT Print View

Gary, thanks for the info. Sounds good.

Andy Berner
(Berner9) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
First Look: Osprey Hornet 46. more pics on 07/06/2010 12:56:33 MDT Print View

Mine just arrived. Heres some extra shots.

Well It was sunny and I took pictures in a sunny scene mode and it put it at a large pixel.

So I just put them on flicker because I was lazy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47471708@N07/sets/72157624312358131/

Edited by Berner9 on 07/06/2010 13:05:11 MDT.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Side shot on 07/06/2010 13:30:16 MDT Print View

Thanks, Andy. Your Flickr photo #...476 shows the side view and the mesh pocket/compression setup I was alluding to.

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
Review to date on 07/10/2010 20:45:11 MDT Print View

First, let me thank Osprey publicly for allowing the BPL community the opportunity to review this pack.

I'll try to add to, rather than repeat what has been said to date.

Water drainage:

I just swam around in my pool with the pack on. When I got out the two holes were functional, but I was getting just about as much water loss from the seams. I'd have preferred to dump the water out than wait for the two holes to drain the pack.

Having said that, I had only three water bottles in the pack, so quite a bit of water was allowed to get in. My sense is under normal conditions (the pack full) that less water could get in and the two holes would be sufficient.

The trade off is that a larger diameter grommet would allow dirt/mud, etc. to enter the pack when it is set on the ground. So, if taking on water is a frequent occurrence you may be disappointed. If it is infrequent, the pack will please you.

Suspension:

I have the sense my pack is too short in the torso, I would probably not have bought this size of pack. But, the suspension system seems to work, at least 17.3 lbs on a short hike this afternoon felt just fine.

If the suspension was larger for my torso, the pack could be larger than it is. However, I'm concerned if the pack was larger and carried more, it might overwhelm this suspension design.

Packbag:

I like it. The compression straps are functional and don't interfere with the side mesh pockets. The lid carries a rain jacket; it is removable, but I can't see myself being so weight conscious. The side mesh pockets will carry a lot of wet stuff until it dries (socks, tarp, raincoat), although one's water bottle may not be accessible while the pack is worn because the pocket is so deep, it extends the length of the pack. The hip belt pockets are mesh, so you'd want a dustproof/waterproof camera and a way to keep your half eaten gorp/energy bar out of the dirt. The hip belt pockets are not easy to reach and get into because they are behind and out of easy sight.

My hike today was in very hot and humid weather. The mesh and foam backing were reasonably well ventilated.

Quality of workmanship:

My quick test of any pack's durability is the haul loop; it feels very secure. I didn't see any flaws in this pack. The quality would not disappoint a gear picky BPLer.

In sum, if the pack fits you I would recommend it for loads and purposes for which it was designed.