Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » crackef fingers?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
crackef fingers? on 06/30/2010 15:09:20 MDT Print View

Hey all.
So...after a few days on the trail my finger tips always get dried out and cracked....if they get really bad they start to bleed. It becomes pretty painful and makes it difficult to do small work with my fingers.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have heard about it. And, if so, any way to fix it or prevent it?

The same thing also happens with my heals, they get very dried and cracked. Any solutions?

Thanks
Dan

Scott Lehr
(lehrscott4) - F

Locale: Louisville - KY
Joshua tree on 06/30/2010 15:34:31 MDT Print View

Try Joshua Tree healing salve. We use it alot to help heal and soften our fingers after hard climbs.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: crackef fingers? on 06/30/2010 18:00:54 MDT Print View

"So...after a few days on the trail my finger tips always get dried out and cracked....if they get really bad they start to bleed. It becomes pretty painful and makes it difficult to do small work with my fingers.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have heard about it. And, if so, any way to fix it or prevent it?"

Take a small bottle(one oz should do) of a good hand lotion along and massage some into your finger tips at night. That way it'll have time to absorb overnight.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Every night on 06/30/2010 18:04:45 MDT Print View

Get a bottle of Intensive Care hand creme or some other good lotion, and EVERY NIGHT rub it onto your hands and feet.

I know, but it works. Really!

Ah! I see Tom and I agree!

Edited by grampa on 06/30/2010 18:05:30 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: crackef fingers? on 08/04/2010 20:49:25 MDT Print View

I had a blister on my hand this winter that eventually gave me cracking issues. A couple days of wedging chapstick into the cracks resolved that problem. It's basically the same type of advise as Tom, except I always carry chapstick.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Re: crackef fingers? on 08/04/2010 22:18:23 MDT Print View

Another fine use for olive oil is as a hand balm.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: crackef fingers? on 08/04/2010 22:31:35 MDT Print View

Dan,

GoJo Hand Medic does it for me on dry and cracked hands.

No problems with my feet.

Party On,

Newton

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: cracked fingers? on 08/04/2010 22:42:43 MDT Print View

Bag Balm. Works wonders.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
dry skin on 08/06/2010 23:42:45 MDT Print View

Cracked fingers: I apply neosporin or lotion then put a bandaid on the finger and keep it on.

Cracked heels: I never had the problem but I read somewhere about using Stridex (yes, the acne medicine) and socks.