Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Benchmade 530 Folding Knife Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Walter Underwood
(wunder) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Gerber LST on 07/07/2010 18:08:20 MDT Print View

Yep, I've been using a Gerber LST as my everyday and backpacking knife for years. $16, 36g. That weight is with a bit of cord tied to it so it won't slip out of my pocket by accident. Basic lockback design.

Avoid the half-serrated model and get the "fine edge" version.

I think it is this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WYZHDO

My son carries an Opinel.

Edited by wunder on 07/07/2010 18:13:56 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
And yet another knife model on 07/08/2010 22:03:59 MDT Print View

I got to surfing around and came across a new Buck knife model that is a pretty good compromise for quality/weigh/cost. Buck has made all-plastic handled lightweight knives for decades, using the Bucklite designation. I had one for years (and lost it) and found it to be a great all around knife.

The newest model is a Bucklite Max. It comes in a couple sizes and orange or black handles. I opted for the medium orange model with a 3" blade that is 420HC stainless steel and hollow ground. It has dual thumb studs and a fixed pocket clip (right handed). Handle ergonomics are excellent and it has a lanyard hole. It is a lock back design, which is simple and secure, but not as much fun to play with. Weight is 2.5oz and you can buy one for a mere $20. Not bad.

This model also offered in a small size with 2-3/4" blade at 1.6oz, and a large with 3-5/8 blade at 3.1oz.

Caveats: hollow ground is not my favorite, but it works. The pocket clip is riveted in place and I'm left handed (grrrr). Removing the clip for lightening and pocket carry could weaken the handle-- I would leave it be. This is about on par with the Gerber LST as the handle is all plastic without metal liners. The blade is riveted in place, which means you won't adjust play without some careful hammer work. Then again, if you are over 40, you will wear out before the knife does :)

Medium Bucklite Max with orange handle

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Benchmade 530 Folding Knife Review on 10/14/2010 09:56:08 MDT Print View

Looking to pull the trigger with my REI coupon. I keep my current knife tied to a belt loop and stored in my pocket with some Triptease. If the listed weight is 1.8oz what would the Benchmark 530 be without the metal clip?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Benchmade 530 Folding Knife Review on 10/14/2010 15:36:41 MDT Print View

Lots of details are to be found in the article.
I measured the weight without the clip at 50 g.

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Another knife on 10/14/2010 15:52:06 MDT Print View

I picked up a CRKT M16-01Z pocket knife at a local retailer a few weeks ago on sale for $16. It is a decent little knife and not a bad blade profile for food prep and general work. It is just 2.3oz and slim enough to carry comfortably in your pocket. It does have a pocket clip, but it was quite right-handed as is the lock release, so I removed it. The blade is stainless (8Cr15MoV) and a little on the soft side, so it won't hold an edge like the harder tool steels, but it is much easier to sharpen. The steel is at least as good as a Swiss Army knife.

CRKT M16 pocket knife

http://www.crkt.com/M16-01-EDC-ZytelHandle-AutoLAWKS-Razor-Sharp-Edge

O S
(puddlemonster) - F

Locale: SF Bay - East Bay
Comment editted on 02/08/2012 21:03:46 MST Print View

[Original comment deleted. I found that I can't stand the feeling of Grivory in my hand.]

Instead I went with an Al Mar Hawk ultralight - 2.75" blade, 3.25" handle,-> 1oz!
Made in Japan in a very old swordmaking district. I went with partial serration.
Hunted around and found a really good price. Glad to support Japan right now.

I had been getting by on a 4 dollar(!) Rostfrei Barracuda tanto, 2" blade 0.7oz, which surprisingly has a more comfortable handle than the SOG flash (which has ~2.45" blade / weighs 1.3oz). The Flash was stolen, and I got the Barracuda in a trade, but now it's old and the frame finally has a small fracture in it, it's gettin' wobbly, and is really too short for food prep. I'll probably replace it to keep in the car, it's so cheap, and the there's something about a micro tanto that I really like.

I looked at CRKT Delegate Gentleman because it's 1.7oz / 3" blade, but it's made in China, which means sweatshop and low quality, and who knows what's in the metal.
SOG does have some stuff made in China, but I found a site claiming that the Flash is made in USA. I like the flash, but the handle is terrible because it has the bulk of it's width at the wrong end. Plus it's "cool" tactical appearance provoked theft.

Edited by puddlemonster on 03/16/2012 23:17:20 MDT.