Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Shasta Trip Report ( Video Documentary)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

Locale: Bay Area, California
Leather Boots on 06/30/2010 20:01:18 MDT Print View

100% for circulation issues. The angle helps identify the issue if it is there. Switzerland = Sweeeeet!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: re: TP & Boots on 06/30/2010 23:03:05 MDT Print View

Of the many times that I climbed Shasta in the spring, over twenty of those times I was wearing Asolo Snowfield Cross-Country ski boots. Since they are for winter skiers, they are fairly thick and waterproofed mid-high boots. They flex a little like a hiking boot, and they have a standard vibram sole for tread. The only trick is that it has a 3-pin nordic toe, so you have to make sure that your crampons fit. Then high-top gaiters will keep your boots warmer and dryer.

--B.G.--

joseph Otoole
(joe_otoole01)
huh. on 07/01/2010 22:39:11 MDT Print View

I really enjoyed that. very well put together.

edit:
music credits would be nice. for us and the musicians!

Edited by joe_otoole01 on 07/02/2010 11:49:41 MDT.

Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

Re: huh. on 07/03/2010 10:39:25 MDT Print View

Joseph,

I'll get the Music credits in there. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

Best,

Ryan

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Shasta Trip Report (Video Documentary) on 07/04/2010 10:40:49 MDT Print View

Ryan,
Another great trip report with photos & music. Thanks for putting in the time/effort and sharing with us!
Tom

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Shasta Trip Report on 07/04/2010 21:44:36 MDT Print View

I just finished watching this and thought it was great. Thanks for putting it together and sharing it. I was surprised you were glissading in your crampons and not using your ice axe for a rudder. But obviously you got down without any mishaps.
Joe Simpson said in one of his books something to the effect that climbing rarely makes sense but nearly always feel right. So true.

Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

Re: Shasta Trip Report on 07/05/2010 14:09:23 MDT Print View

Hey Kathleen,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Regarding the crampons...noooooo crampons on those boots. I think it looks like it, but I took them off. It is crazy to glissade with crampons on.

Best,

Ryan

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Shasta Trip Report on 07/05/2010 14:33:03 MDT Print View

"It is crazy to glissade with crampons on."

Agreed.

I witnessed an injury accident in the same place in Avalanche Gulch when a fool was doing a glissade with crampons on. The fool caught a point, flipped, slid out of control, struck two innocent climbers, and one of them slid about a thousand feet down.

--B.G.--

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
thanks for the memories on 07/09/2010 09:20:03 MDT Print View

Your video really brings back memories of climbing Shasta - great job, Ryan! I'm glad we didn't have the bad weather you did (I think we went in June) but your glissade shots highlight the plus side of going when there is lots of snow. I will never forget the fun of glissading down from Red Banks! (on my second trip I used the ice axe to brake far less, having realized near the end of the first trip's glissade that it was a lot more fun than scary)

Thanks again. :)

Ryan Commons
(RyanCommons) - F

DK on 07/16/2010 01:43:58 MDT Print View

Thanks a lot DK, feels great that others enjoy watching the glissading. Always makes me smile.

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Awesome! on 07/16/2010 03:53:14 MDT Print View

You put a big smile on my face this morning. Best cup of coffee I ever had. Off to work. Cheers Mate!