Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight Thermos
Display Avatars Sort By:
Pamela Sweet
(drsweet) - F
Lightweight Thermos on 06/24/2010 11:41:26 MDT Print View

I recently purchased (another) insulated sport bottle. I have many...none of them have really been worth while. Either they are too heavy, too weak, or just do not keep things hot or cold. I enjoy my tea on the trail. Fuel is at a premium, so hot water for tea is a luxury, and sun tea only works to a point.
I found a product from Kikkerland - a stainless steel "sports flask". It is the same style and shape as a Sigg bottle, and overall is quite similar in appearance.
It excells in that it REALLY DOES WORK. Hot tea will sill be HOT in 12 hours. It is good and warm after 24 hours. I have used mine every day for 2 months without failure. It comes in three sizes small medium and large with only a couple of ounces difference between the medium 600ml actual volume and the large - 700ml.
The Medium wt is 8.9 oz; and the Large is 10 oz. empty.
These are a bit hard to find...I got mine in Vermont. They are available online from www.Kikkerland.com. The only other mfg is in Australia and they do not ship outside of Australia.

I hope this might solve some problems.
I use it for tea and for keeping my hot water hot for making supper...it I have left over hot water its still hot for breakfast- saves prep time and fuel in the am.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
anyone use the REI one? on 06/24/2010 11:47:45 MDT Print View

i think it is about the same specs...

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Lightweight Thermos...don't overdo it on 06/24/2010 11:47:53 MDT Print View

Before hiking up Mount Washington NH in snow season, I brewed up a thermos full of hot tea, maybe 0.75 liter. I drove two hours to the trailhead, and then hiked up. Arriving on the summit four hours later, I opened up the thermos to drink. It was too hot to drink! I had to leave it in the cup for a minute with the arctic wind blowing on it before I could put it to my lips.

--B.G.--

George Roefler
(Arizona) - F
Spam on 06/27/2010 23:12:55 MDT Print View

You joined BPL, posted one post for a product and gave it a glowing review. Tired of spammers like you. Post reported.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Is it spam? on 06/28/2010 00:26:25 MDT Print View

She did buy a BPL membership, which is more than George did!

Edited by hikinggranny on 06/28/2010 00:30:04 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Lightweight Thermos on 06/28/2010 00:28:49 MDT Print View

Hi Pamela

As OP said, this is your first posting and it is a glowing endorsement of a not-very-relevant (to UL gear) product. Also, the claim about the length of time the water stays hot is a bit extreme. This has raised some suspicions.

We need to know just what connection you have to Kikkerland or the makers of the thermos flask. We do require full and honest disclosure in any such posting where you might have some vested interest.

Could you let us know what the situation is please?

Cheers
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Lightweight Thermos on 06/28/2010 01:19:26 MDT Print View

Oops, wrong Pam...
Franco

Edited by Franco on 06/28/2010 01:50:48 MDT.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Lightweight Thermos on 06/28/2010 01:30:11 MDT Print View

I'm not so sure this is spam. At least the OP gives the weight of the item as being considerably heavier than the website claims. large. Weight : (0.36) Lbs. Medium. Weight : (0.32) Lbs.

I also note the OP didn't link the website. Not your average spammer tactic.

Oh, and Franco, "this particular Pamela Swift" isn't called Swift.

Edited by tallbloke on 06/28/2010 01:31:05 MDT.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
thermos on 06/28/2010 12:28:29 MDT Print View

I've wondered about this for some time as I use a high quality thermos at home and in the car and it keeps my coffee very hot for at least 8 hours if I charge it with boiling water first. Take a look at the one Chris Townsend uses in the following link. Unfortunately the reviews at Amazon are not good if you try to use it for anything other than hot water or tea, but a less fiddly thermos would be worth considering.
http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/search?q=flask

See also this comparison of thermoses and which stay hotter longer and cap modifications.
http://www.cyclingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-95659-p-3.html

Edited by Meander on 06/28/2010 12:52:21 MDT.

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
Lightweight Thermos - Titanium on 06/28/2010 19:43:33 MDT Print View

I love my titanium thermos. It rocks.

That's my non-spam endorsement...