easy access UL DSLR and lense cases
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick Beaty
(reeock) - F

Locale: New England
easy access UL DSLR and lense cases on 06/23/2010 20:02:27 MDT Print View

I have 1 DSLR a tripod and three lenses I want to pack into the backcountry. Any tips on protection or cases for the items while backpacking? Any DIY options? My My camera gear is heavy enough as it is. I don't want to further weigh it down with heavy casing. PLEASE HELP!!!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
easy access UL DSLR and lense cases on 06/23/2010 20:51:51 MDT Print View

Rick
Take a look at the Aarns Photo Pockets. They are made for his packs but based on my use of the standard pockets they should
work very well in balancing the weight, accessibility and visibility.

http://aarnpacks.com/products/balance_pockets.html
I suggested the pockets to Aarn but unfortunately after he already had designed them .
Franco

Stephen P
(spavlock) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Re: easy access UL DSLR and lense cases on 06/23/2010 23:32:29 MDT Print View

A simple DIY method is to use reflectix and plastic bags or aloksaks to add waterproofing. I use this for my camera, then again I'm probably carrying pennies compared to what you are packing.

I've had good luck with the relectix protecting electronics. I used it because I already had it. I guess another solution would be bubble wrap + some sort of plastic for water proofing.

At best...this could be a quick and easy solution until you have researched a more permanent solution.

EDIT: You could also cut foam to the right size for the padding. This seems like it would add more bulk, but offer a little more protection. I'm thinking of your lightest options here...they won't be stylish, but they will get the job done. Best of luck!

Edited by spavlock on 06/23/2010 23:36:50 MDT.