Breakfast trail shake recipes?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jesse Engelberg
(jaebpl) - F
Breakfast trail shake recipes? on 06/23/2010 03:16:54 MDT Print View

I'm heading out of the JMT in a few weeks, and have to finish up my food plan.

I'm considering bring some sort of breakfast shake, but can't find good recipes online. Most people seem to use some combination of instant milk, carnation instant breakfast or nestle quick, ensure, or premade protein drinks.

Has anyone out there made their own? What are the best tasting shakes that still have a high calorie count? Thanks!

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Breakfast Trail Shakes on 06/23/2010 04:56:39 MDT Print View

If you're not set on making your own (I'm quite lazy when it comes to trail food), consider the Jump-Start Fruit Smoothies from PackIt Gourmet. I've only tried the Berry-Berry but it was great. They have 35g of protein and the bag they come in is rigid enough to easily drink from so you don't have any other cleanup.

Jennifer W
(tothetrail) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal.
Re: Breakfast Trail Shakes on 06/23/2010 07:11:19 MDT Print View

+1 on the Packit smoothie, it's what I'll be using on the JMT this year. I wish I knew how they do it, that smoothie is so good.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Breakfast trail shake recipes? on 06/23/2010 08:13:11 MDT Print View

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/creamsicle-protein-smoothie

I posted that last year here as well. Hope it helps!

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Breakfast trail shake recipes? on 06/23/2010 10:26:49 MDT Print View

I've made some shake-like stuff in the past using a combination of:

1. water
2. Carnation Instant Breakfast
3. Hammer Perpetuem

Mix the dry parts together into a plastic bag, add to a water bottle, shake, drink. You'll might wish to consider dedicating a water bottle to this task on a trip as I remember it gets a bit messy.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Breakfast trail shake recipes? on 06/23/2010 14:16:48 MDT Print View

My favorite trail shake period:

2 Part Hemp Protein (Vanilla Spice kind with Macca) (or add macca to the recipe)
1 Part Chia Seed
1 Part Powdered Whole Goat Milk
sugar to taste

For breakfast, add 1 part instant oats and make with hot water.

Let it sit for a bit, as the chia seeds will absorb water and puff up to gel'ish consistency.

You can avoid the goat's milk if you don't do dairy, but it's way more agreeable and generally healthier than cow dairy for most people's systems.

Jesse Engelberg
(jaebpl) - F
Thanks! on 06/25/2010 03:32:20 MDT Print View

These are great ideas. I'll try one of them for sure!

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Sarah - Help on 06/28/2010 12:03:47 MDT Print View

Sarah,

Where in Seattle are you finding yogurt powder? I live in West Seattle and went to QFC and PCC...nothing. I made the drink without and it was still good, but I'd like to add the yogurt powder. THANKS

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Sarah - Help on 06/28/2010 13:14:04 MDT Print View

John,
Just sent you an email - I buy it online if anyone else wants to know where I get it:
http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=dfmbc&cn=Yogurt+Powder

It may seem like a lot to order a lb but if you drink drinks daily you fly through it. Frontier is the brand that most natural food stores carry in their bulk section and they have great/fast service!