Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Good hiking trails near Council Bluffs, IA

Display Avatars Sort By:
Erik Bresnahan
(ErikinDuluth) - F

Locale: the shores of lake gitchigumi
Good hiking trails near Council Bluffs, IA on 06/22/2010 14:04:28 MDT Print View

I am hoping to go down to Council Bluffs for a concert in August and would like to go for a 3 or 4 day hike while I'm down there. Any suggestions?

Luke Tingley
(tingleyl) - F

Locale: Midwest
Go To The Zoo Instead on 06/23/2010 22:33:36 MDT Print View

I see you're from Duluth. You're going to be seriously disappointed with anything around Council Bluffs.

Go to the zoo instead or drive another 7 hours west and go to CO.

Erik Bresnahan
(ErikinDuluth) - F

Locale: the shores of lake gitchigumi
Hiking near Council Bluffs on 06/24/2010 06:54:46 MDT Print View

Luke,

I've been to the zoo there so that is out. I actually have changed my trip from hiking Sleeping Giant in Thunder Bay to going to see Gogol Bordello and Primus and the options are to carcamp and disc golf my way down and back or stay and hike for a few days.

I haven't searched very hard yet and just thought I would throw it out here since this site is a great source of information. As for disappointment, every area has its positives and I can imagine the sunsets from the bluffs over the river are one of that areas, similar in a way to sunrises over Lake Superior, though overall I haven't found any places in the Midwest that can top the north shore.

Edited by ErikinDuluth on 06/24/2010 07:04:10 MDT.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Not much on 06/24/2010 15:17:17 MDT Print View

I live in omaha, and all of the hiking around here is short dayhikes. I would head else where for hiking opportunities. August is also painfully hot and humid around here.

If you are interested in some dayhikes, Shoot me a PM