Forum Index » Chaff » Maybe I should carry a gun in the backcountry....

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Maybe I should carry a gun in the backcountry.... on 06/21/2010 19:50:26 MDT Print View

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/06/20/bc-grizzly-charge-leon-lorenz.html#socialcomments

Maybe I should carry a gun in the backcountry....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Maybe I should carry a gun in the backcountry.... on 06/21/2010 21:02:37 MDT Print View

Grizzly bear attack kills man near Yellowstone Park

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Bears on 06/21/2010 22:23:12 MDT Print View

Sad stuff. But Doug, did you watch the video?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Bears on 06/21/2010 22:30:36 MDT Print View

Hey Dave!

I did. Pretty wild stuff. Strange how the bear just suddenly started charging like that out of the blue! And incredibly fast!

I have no experience whatsoever with Grizzlies. Not sure I want any!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Bears on 06/21/2010 22:49:04 MDT Print View

Its like it smelled him, didn't quite spot him, and then charged. Always iffy when a mama is with cub

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Wow on 06/22/2010 02:04:24 MDT Print View

amazing video. Humbling to see how quickly it moved.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Wow on 06/22/2010 18:21:28 MDT Print View

"Humbling to see how quickly it moved"

Yup. What I'm wondering is: With 400# of roaring, slavering grizzly closing on you at 40 mph, your adrenaline pumping, and that warm, wet feeling spreading down your leg,
just what do you think your chances of stopping it with that decidedly non UL gun you've been lugging around would be? Personally, I'm looking at a number far to the right of the decimal point.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Maybe I should carry a gun in the backcountry.... on 06/22/2010 19:02:24 MDT Print View

If you wound the bear rather than killing it dead, a highly likely scenario, all you'll do is make the bear even madder!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Maybe I should carry a gun in the backcountry.... on 06/22/2010 19:15:34 MDT Print View

Mary, I do think there was some scarcasm in the posts. Though a charging Griz is quite scary. You have more of a chance getting killed driving to the TH.

Larry Dyer
(veriest1) - F

Locale: Texas
Noise on 06/22/2010 20:26:46 MDT Print View

It's amazing that he had enough presence of mind to aim high as the article states. Given some of the hand gun shooting I've seen I'd wager he actually just missed.

IMO if you think you need a gun for bear then the only way to have a decent chance of getting a good shot off is to have a set of engagement rules worked out and memorized, the gun at the ready anytime you know a bear is around, and a lot of practice under your belt. However, I think most people who carry a "bear" gun just need a security blanket to make them feel better. If I was in bear country and worried about problem bears I'd probably choose a modern .45-70 firing some nasty hand loads and not take my chances on any handguns not chambered for rifle cartridges.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Bear on 06/22/2010 21:36:17 MDT Print View

Yes - my original post was really sarcasm with respect to carrying a gun. What shocks me is that this fellow saw the mama and her cub and still decided to stay and take some pictures.

The smart one would have been gone long before giving the bear the opportunity to charge!

One other thing. I find it odd that the cub followed like that. It is almost as if the Bear was spooked from behind, rather than first sensing the photographer.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Bluffing? on 06/22/2010 21:42:53 MDT Print View

I don't claim to be a bear expert but I wonder if this was a bluff charge or at least started that way? It looked like to me the bear didn't take the most direct route to the guy. I wonder whether backing away would have been a good idea?

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Not a bluff charge. on 06/22/2010 22:00:24 MDT Print View

Not even close. That guy is lucky to be alive. I don't know if he missed on purpose or not, but i'm glad both walked away unharmed.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Feeding the troll on 06/24/2010 10:26:37 MDT Print View

OK, I'll feed the troll.

Another couple glad they did.

http://www.bearsmart.com/media/703

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Maybe I should carry a gun in the backcountry.... on 06/24/2010 10:37:43 MDT Print View

"Fister's statement read that "it is legal to carry a firearm in the (original) portion of the park, but it is not legal to discharge it."

Now THAT is hilarious. I wonder if the Bear's family will sue?

David Olsen
(oware)

McDonald on Monday on 06/24/2010 11:58:42 MDT Print View

Sounds like the SCOTUS will release report on McDonald vs
Chicago on Monday with Alito writing.

This will basically decide if the 2nd amendment applies to
the states as well as the Federal Government.

Did you know up till now the 2nd amendment didn't apply to you
except in Federal Jurisdictions like DC?

The 1st does, but not all of them.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: McDonald on Monday on 06/24/2010 12:06:21 MDT Print View

Bring your gun -- or not. Personally, it's people who chat endlessly on their cell phones that really bother me.

David Olsen
(oware)

Another bear mauling on 06/24/2010 18:28:28 MDT Print View

Here is a bear mauling. Gun didn't seem to help this time.http://headlines.verizon.com/headlines/portals/headlines.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=headlines_portal_page__article&_article=2884599

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Bears on 06/24/2010 19:53:38 MDT Print View

David - wow.

David Olsen
(oware)

more current bear attacks on 06/25/2010 15:52:58 MDT Print View

Montana Camper got his ear chewed while sleeping. Black bear

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/jun/25/game-wardens-kill-black-bear-injured-camper/

Runner chewed on by two griz.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jun/11/man-attacked-by-grizzly-bear-says-survival/