November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Down Sleeping Bag--How Many Seasons?
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Whynot

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Phantom vs Montbell vs Western Mountaineering vs Feathered Friends. Call me crazy but.... on 06/21/2010 21:02:21 MDT Print View

WM Summerlite is available from Bent Gate Mountaineering in Golden.

It's a great bag, I've used mine down into the upper 20's, wearing a light insulated layer...

Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Phantom vs Montbell vs Western Mountaineering vs Feathered Friends. Call me crazy but.... on 06/21/2010 21:04:18 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info. I guess I have yet another place to go before July 31 comes.

Colin Matthews
(litebrite) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
to each is own on 06/21/2010 21:05:56 MDT Print View

QUOTE: Hey Colin - I guess I will have to sell my Marmot Hydrogen since I might freeze.
(we have the same backyard)

; )

That is a good example of my point actually, because I have a Marmot Helium (-9 version of the Hydrogen) LOL!
I've still frozen my butt off in september/march-type conditions in my Hydrogen. I guess everybody's different. I work in the outdoor industry and in my experience, -9 is a safer bet for all-around comfort here. But, I'm also open to the possibility that some people are a lot tougher than me! :)

Andrew Mazibrada
(cohenfain) - F

Locale: UK and Western Europe
Summerlite v Phantom on 06/22/2010 15:23:06 MDT Print View

I have the Summerlite & the Phantom. I much prefer the Summerlite. I find in identical conditions I tend to colder in the Phantom which is not as snug, 100g heavier & the Summerlite is a full-zip so easier to vent. It's also better made.

Christopher Smith
(Schmitty) - F
Good for 3 Season on 06/23/2010 10:26:05 MDT Print View

I love my MH Phantom 32. Packs down super small and I've had it down to 14* with a light baselayer and a fleece and stayed fairly comfortable and I consider myself a cold sleeper.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"PHANTOM WARMTH" on 06/23/2010 14:21:43 MDT Print View

I had a "Phantom 32" I took it back W/O using it B/C I saw a Western Mountaineering Megalite,a bag with REAL loft.

Plus the Phantom 32 has a 1/2 length zipper that drove me mad on a backyard trial.

I feel the Phantom 32 is WAY to low on loft to EVER keep you warm at 32 F.

Yes, yy WM Megalite was more money by about $100., but on two surprising 25 F. August nights in a high valley on the PCT in California I was SO glad for that extra loft. Over the years I'd say it's money well spent.

Then there's the Megalite's nice gith that makes for a great quilt when unzipped all the way on hot summer nights.

Dave -
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Up there
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Down Sleeping Bag--How Many Seasons? on 06/23/2010 14:27:15 MDT Print View

Eric, the Phantom was tested here:

It had the same loft as the Summerlite. Is the Megalite rated warmer?

Tim Harney
(baldknobber) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Phantom 32 on 06/23/2010 17:59:29 MDT Print View

I've had this bag for a couple of years, probably 20-25 bag nights, and it has kept me warm down to it's temp. rating every time. I consider myself a cold sleeper as well.

A reasonably priced, reliable piece of gear. Can't give a better endorsement than that.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Phantom 32 on 06/23/2010 20:29:10 MDT Print View

I had a Phantom 32 for a few years and it was fine for me (a cold side-sleeper) to 33 F that I have written down. But that pretty much made it a summer bag for the Sierra, add spring and fall in places like Joshua Tree NP or Cleveland NF.

I only sold mine when I switched to quilts.

Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Half zipper??? on 06/23/2010 21:09:03 MDT Print View

I think they may have changed it for 201o then. The Phantom I looked at a couple days ago had a full zipper.

Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Dare I say it... on 06/23/2010 21:12:42 MDT Print View

What is going to happen when they start selling Western Mountaineering bags online through Cabela's? Or when it becomes mainstream?

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
phantom 32 on 06/23/2010 23:19:15 MDT Print View

I bought the 09 model when it was on sale at Campsaver. Mine has the half zipper.
It doesn't appear to have that much loft, I think 4" is a bit of a stretch.
I had it with me this weekend for the first time. When I "went to bed" it was 35 F in my tent. I was wearing a t-shirt plus midweight baselayers, socks and head insulation. I was a bit cold at first, I guess I'm used to heavier bags "pressing" on me, the Phantom seemed to float above me. Once I fell asleep my body temp must have gone up, and I slept comfortably for about 8 hours when I decided to get out of the bag to check the temperature. It was exactly 32F in my tent at 5am. I was again chilly after loosing the heat trapped in the bag, and struggled for a while, seeking refuge near my wife's Ultralite. Again, as I fell asleep I warmed up.

I'd say the temperature rating is accurate. But it depends a lot on the person using it. I'm 5.10 and 140 lb, not built to conserve heat.

Edited by zorobabel on 06/24/2010 11:44:08 MDT.

Alex Gilman
(Vertigo) - F

Locale: Washington
Soooo Clearly it does 32 just fine on 06/23/2010 23:52:12 MDT Print View

Can we please try to filter the misinformation when someone asks a question?

The bag goes down to 32 just fine as everyone here has stated AND as reviewed here on BPL (search for article) ...AND EN Rating: T-Limit 28 °F / -2 °C EN Rating: T-Comfort 37 °F / 3 °C

At least as far back as 08 the bag HAS a full length zipper (check pics of it anywhere online)

The 09 was reviewed by BPL and states "From an ultralight point of view, its full length zipper may be a drawback too."

Andrew Mazibrada
(cohenfain) - F

Locale: UK and Western Europe
State of the Market Report 2010 on 06/24/2010 14:21:15 MDT Print View

Check out the State of the Market Report on 3 Season down bags and you will be assisted. The Summerlite comes out on top in general, all round terms.

It can be found here:

Dave -
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Up there
Phantom 32 on 06/24/2010 15:20:44 MDT Print View

Loft is the same though.

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Down Sleeping Bag--How Many Seasons on 06/24/2010 22:37:59 MDT Print View

Maybe misinformation, but also maybe bad quality control?

I have read many many bad reviews of the phantom, and am pretty hard pressed to find bad reviews of a summerlite. Could be placebo?

Being a larger brand maybe mountain hardware is just less consistent?