Forum Index » GEAR » Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Down Sleeping Bag--How Many Seasons?

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Phantom vs Montbell vs Western Mountaineering vs Feathered Friends. Call me crazy but.... on 06/21/2010 21:02:21 MDT Print View

WM Summerlite is available from Bent Gate Mountaineering in Golden.

It's a great bag, I've used mine down into the upper 20's, wearing a light insulated layer...

Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Phantom vs Montbell vs Western Mountaineering vs Feathered Friends. Call me crazy but.... on 06/21/2010 21:04:18 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info. I guess I have yet another place to go before July 31 comes.

Colin Matthews
(litebrite) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
to each is own on 06/21/2010 21:05:56 MDT Print View

QUOTE: Hey Colin - I guess I will have to sell my Marmot Hydrogen since I might freeze.
(we have the same backyard)

; )

That is a good example of my point actually, because I have a Marmot Helium (-9 version of the Hydrogen) LOL!
I've still frozen my butt off in september/march-type conditions in my Hydrogen. I guess everybody's different. I work in the outdoor industry and in my experience, -9 is a safer bet for all-around comfort here. But, I'm also open to the possibility that some people are a lot tougher than me! :)

Andrew Mazibrada
(cohenfain) - F

Locale: UK and Western Europe
Summerlite v Phantom on 06/22/2010 15:23:06 MDT Print View

I have the Summerlite & the Phantom. I much prefer the Summerlite. I find in identical conditions I tend to colder in the Phantom which is not as snug, 100g heavier & the Summerlite is a full-zip so easier to vent. It's also better made.

Christopher Smith
(Schmitty) - F
Good for 3 Season on 06/23/2010 10:26:05 MDT Print View

I love my MH Phantom 32. Packs down super small and I've had it down to 14* with a light baselayer and a fleece and stayed fairly comfortable and I consider myself a cold sleeper.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"PHANTOM WARMTH" on 06/23/2010 14:21:43 MDT Print View

I had a "Phantom 32" I took it back W/O using it B/C I saw a Western Mountaineering Megalite,a bag with REAL loft.

Plus the Phantom 32 has a 1/2 length zipper that drove me mad on a backyard trial.

I feel the Phantom 32 is WAY to low on loft to EVER keep you warm at 32 F.

Yes, yy WM Megalite was more money by about $100., but on two surprising 25 F. August nights in a high valley on the PCT in California I was SO glad for that extra loft. Over the years I'd say it's money well spent.

Then there's the Megalite's nice gith that makes for a great quilt when unzipped all the way on hot summer nights.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Down Sleeping Bag--How Many Seasons? on 06/23/2010 14:27:15 MDT Print View

Eric, the Phantom was tested here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/mh_phantom32_bag_review.html

It had the same loft as the Summerlite. Is the Megalite rated warmer?

Tim Harney
(baldknobber) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Phantom 32 on 06/23/2010 17:59:29 MDT Print View

I've had this bag for a couple of years, probably 20-25 bag nights, and it has kept me warm down to it's temp. rating every time. I consider myself a cold sleeper as well.

A reasonably priced, reliable piece of gear. Can't give a better endorsement than that.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Re: Phantom 32 on 06/23/2010 20:29:10 MDT Print View

I had a Phantom 32 for a few years and it was fine for me (a cold side-sleeper) to 33 F that I have written down. But that pretty much made it a summer bag for the Sierra, add spring and fall in places like Joshua Tree NP or Cleveland NF.

I only sold mine when I switched to quilts.

Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Half zipper??? on 06/23/2010 21:09:03 MDT Print View

I think they may have changed it for 201o then. The Phantom I looked at a couple days ago had a full zipper.

Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Dare I say it... on 06/23/2010 21:12:42 MDT Print View

What is going to happen when they start selling Western Mountaineering bags online through Cabela's? Or when it becomes mainstream?

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
phantom 32 on 06/23/2010 23:19:15 MDT Print View

I bought the 09 model when it was on sale at Campsaver. Mine has the half zipper.
It doesn't appear to have that much loft, I think 4" is a bit of a stretch.
I had it with me this weekend for the first time. When I "went to bed" it was 35 F in my tent. I was wearing a t-shirt plus midweight baselayers, socks and head insulation. I was a bit cold at first, I guess I'm used to heavier bags "pressing" on me, the Phantom seemed to float above me. Once I fell asleep my body temp must have gone up, and I slept comfortably for about 8 hours when I decided to get out of the bag to check the temperature. It was exactly 32F in my tent at 5am. I was again chilly after loosing the heat trapped in the bag, and struggled for a while, seeking refuge near my wife's Ultralite. Again, as I fell asleep I warmed up.

I'd say the temperature rating is accurate. But it depends a lot on the person using it. I'm 5.10 and 140 lb, not built to conserve heat.

Edited by zorobabel on 06/24/2010 11:44:08 MDT.

Alex Gilman
(Vertigo) - F

Locale: Washington
Soooo Clearly it does 32 just fine on 06/23/2010 23:52:12 MDT Print View

Can we please try to filter the misinformation when someone asks a question?

The bag goes down to 32 just fine as everyone here has stated AND as reviewed here on BPL (search for article) ...AND EN Rating: T-Limit 28 °F / -2 °C EN Rating: T-Comfort 37 °F / 3 °C

At least as far back as 08 the bag HAS a full length zipper (check pics of it anywhere online)

The 09 was reviewed by BPL and states "From an ultralight point of view, its full length zipper may be a drawback too."

Andrew Mazibrada
(cohenfain) - F

Locale: UK and Western Europe
State of the Market Report 2010 on 06/24/2010 14:21:15 MDT Print View

Check out the State of the Market Report on 3 Season down bags and you will be assisted. The Summerlite comes out on top in general, all round terms.

It can be found here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ultralight_3_season_down_mummy_bags_sotm_2010.html

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Phantom 32 on 06/24/2010 15:20:44 MDT Print View

Loft is the same though.

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Down Sleeping Bag--How Many Seasons on 06/24/2010 22:37:59 MDT Print View

Maybe misinformation, but also maybe bad quality control?

I have read many many bad reviews of the phantom, and am pretty hard pressed to find bad reviews of a summerlite. Could be placebo?

Being a larger brand maybe mountain hardware is just less consistent?