Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » VERY remote backpacking trip.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nobody You Know
(DirtbagLiving) - F

Locale: Colorado
VERY remote backpacking trip. on 06/19/2010 14:38:58 MDT Print View

I need ideas. They can be anywhere. I just want to get lost for a couple weeks.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: VERY remote backpacking trip. on 06/19/2010 14:40:11 MDT Print View

No experience, but I bet you can get yourself "lost" pretty quickly offtrail in Alaska.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
VERY remote backpacking trip on 06/19/2010 14:53:37 MDT Print View

Sorry, evidently had a URL from a previous post in the "copy" bucket--now edited for correct subject title!

If you have good off-trail skills (especially navigation skills), Wyoming's Wind Rivers is a grand place to get away from the beaten path. I'm planning two back-to-back trips, partially off-trail, this summer. A number of off-trail routes there require mountaineering skills and glacier travel skills, and you definitely wouldn't want to do those kind of trips alone. But there are many others that just require good route-finding and elementary scrambling skills. A wonderful book that will give you lots of ideas has recently been published: Nancy Pallister's "Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming." You can find a preview and purchase the book on this website: http://www.mcreynoldscpa.com/BeyondTrails

I recommend getting the accompanying CD, which has better maps than are in the book and many beautiful photos which will have you drooling! Do read the route descriptions carefully and honestly assess your skills before trying any of the routes listed.

Edited by hikinggranny on 06/19/2010 20:22:17 MDT.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
google on 06/20/2010 09:25:10 MDT Print View

Google "national recreation areas" around where you live. These type of areas are usually the most remote, comprising the most wilderness.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Sierra High Route on 06/20/2010 13:08:56 MDT Print View

Not quite as remote as Alaska but there are stretches of the High Route that you won't see people for days. Google Sierra High Route and you can read part of Roper's book describing the route online.

John Mowery
(Mow) - F - M

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Thorofare Trail on 06/20/2010 20:31:34 MDT Print View

Hike the Thorofare Trial beginning in YNP, out of the Park in the SE Corner, over Two Oceans Pass and into Teton National Park. It's about 100 miles of amazing solitude. I hiked it five years ago and it was a great trip. Bring bug spray if you're going before August 15.